Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Total absolute screaming bow newbie question

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by boombloom, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Looking around for the newbie bow info. My particluar quest is for information on how to hold a french bow. Real basics. I live in the genuine boonies and would have to travel pretty far to find a reliable teacher. For now I'm looking for a description and a few photos to get me started.

2. I'll be sure to check out these sites and thanks for the referral to UVM. It really is difficult to get away these days, between the office, the infant, house rehab, winter wonderland and gigs. Time is not on my side right now. I am not against finding a teacher. As Sophocles said.... Learning from a wise counselor is not pain if what he speaks are profitable words. Thanks again!

Steve

3. There are some god awful pictures of how to hold the bow in Jazz insruction books by quite noted jazz players. Do what I and many others have done: Get hold of a first-class classical player. Even a couple of lessons will help with the basic grip, though the bow is an art in itself that may require years of work to truly master -- that at least is my experience.

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Even if you can do one lesson every so often...you'll be on the right track.

Also, audio or video tape the lesson so you can refer back to it if you need to.

Good Luck

5. bassbaterie

bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    But, in the meantime don't be afraid to start practicing with the bow and develop the muscle strength to hold it and play with it for say a half hour at a time. Just play long tones or whatever feels natural. Your grip is going to feel really awkward at first no matter what and your hand will get tired after a few minutes, so saw away and get strong. Just keep in mind that your eventual instructor will help you refine the grip and things will change. Don't get married to your beginning grip. You will get farther in your first lesson with it however if you are able to hold the bow for the full hour and make the adjustments as the teacher suggests.

If you can grab a Jeff Bradetich video, it would be really a solid posture to start with; he has such great right hand flexibility. Maybe Lemur sells them?

6. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    As someone who learned the basics via a mixture of sporadic lessons and a lot of self study, let me say this: If it hurts, you're doing it wrong. That principle will take you a long way ;-)