Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Total Beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nevhision, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Nevhision

Nevhision

Sep 8, 2005
    I'm a current Bassoon player. So, I curently come from a very classical background. However, I got into Bela Fleck, then Victor Wooten. I've been inspired to pick up bass. What's a good bass to start on thats under $400?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fender MIM Precision or Jazz. Or just about anything in that price range. $400 basses are actually not bad these days. Cheap basses these days are a lot better than they were 20 years ago. I would stay away from Sam Ash and Guitar Center house brands like Carlo Robelli and Rogue, though. I've heard of many expensive problems with them.

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    If you're truly dedicated and are willing to spend more a Fender MIA Precision or Jazz would be slightly better in quality control, although I've played some MIMs that played better than MIA, Fenders seem to be hit or miss especially with the MIM models, if you're just trying to toy around and see if you like it, the SX basses are quite highly regarded around here. www.rondomusic.net

4. Matt H

Matt H

Jul 30, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    a wise man once told "buy used and play for free"

400 bucks (in the used range) is a LITTLE bit awkward... if you can come up with another hundred, you've got used american made instruments becoming a reality...

however- if you spend LESS than 400 bucks, you can get those decent entry level ones used a lot cheaper,and have more money left over to put into an amp or something.

5. MTD Kingston!

6. I second the eBay route.

If you want new, then check with Guitar Center and Sam Ash, they get pretty competetive with pricing.

~Ryan

7. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Ebay is a great route. Check out Carvin...good value. The LB series are neck-thrus, with good hardware, excellent workmanship and decent active electronics (there are better preamps out there, but for the money you get a lot).

+1 on coming up with a little bit more money. If you can get up to $800-900 you can find really, REALLY good instruments that will last years and years and hold their value well (MusicMan, for example).

If money is really tight you can always do the SX thing (check out the "Essex megathread"). If you head over to Rondomusic.net you can pick up an SX Jazz for about $120. These are surprisingly good for the money, but they generally need fretwork done (I think Kurt at Rondo once said this is because the climate in which they're made is very humid, and by the time they get here the wood has shrunk some...whatever). A fret level, dress and polish, plus a setup will cost something on the order of $150. At the end of the day you've got an instrument that is darned good for less than $300.

I have a 5-string SX Jazz clone that I keep in the closet to practice with, since my main basses live at the rehearsal studio. The cheap bass + good luthiery combination is the route I took and I'm very pleased with the results.

Be aware that if you like Wooten et. al. and want tone like theirs, a $400 bass is not going to do it, not even close. You need a good rig and a decent bass to get there.

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    You might want to consider renting from your local store especially if they have a couple of different basses. No guaranteee that they will be set up well but it will let you get your 'chops' together before sitting down and deciding which bass to buy. It's hard to decided what you like in bass when you are still getting your fingers to work.

9. Nevhision

Nevhision

Sep 8, 2005
    The SX route seems very appealing. Not much to loose, and they'll probably get me started for the next year while I learn.

I'm thinking about the SX SJB-62TM or the SX SJB-62 BK. The 62TM is maple and the other is adler, any difference?

10. The SJB62TM is the same as the SJB62, except the TM has a picture of flamed maple on it. It's not actually real and looks pretty cheesy in my opinion. I'd stay away. You should look at the SJB62s. They all have the same components.

I have a SJB62 which I set up and there was no fretwork needed. Just a little twist of the truss rod and a little bridge adjustment and it was good to go. I also just finished completely shielding the bass so it's more silent than any passive Jazz bass you will ever find. I love this bass!

11. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT