1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Total Blues Brothers moment

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by robbotbass, Apr 12, 2009.

1. We as musicians have all seen the Blues Brothers Movies. Well I lived a moment about 5 years ago in a small town in the Middle of Wyoming. We where play a very small venue, it was actually a church/community center/acution center. Anyways, We where playing one of our first handful of gigs with this new band. We had an all star lineup of various musicians from the local scene. So we had a pretty good mix of musicians.
    Well we get tuned look at each other and that ok might as well start. We opend with a really fast paced 120bpm song, we are talking Distortion, guitar solo, screaming vocals thunderus bass lines. Mean in your face drums! We rocked it better then we had ever played it!!!!!
    Here comes the Blues brother moment. We end the song expecting a Roar of 10 or 15 people that where there. We end to no doubt the sound of crickets out side the in the pasture, Wide Eyed hick town Hillbillys with jaws down and fingers in their ears. Needless to say it was a long long set!
    After the show a young man came up to us and said you guys are good, but next time can you play some Hank Williams? We like to line dance in these parts.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    They wanted both kinds of music ... Country and Western

But was there chicken wire?

3. "Rawhide!!!!!!"

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

So apparently the person booking the band didn't ask for enough detail. And the band didn't offer that detail. No surprise.

I'd rather pass on a gig than get into that situation.