Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Total effect failure

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by seanm, Jun 2, 2005.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I almost put this in the Humour forum, but I really hope someone has a suggestion.

I am a plug and play kinda guy. I like to build and play with effects, but live and at practices I just go straight to the amp.

So I learned U2's Vertigo. The the SansAmp really nails the bass sound, so last practice I brought it. (We practice in the drummers basement). Well it wouldn't work. I chalked it up to a dead battery and forgot about it.

Well this time we learned some Neil Young, including "My My, Hey Hey" which *requires* heavy distortion :bassist: Since I was bringing pedals, I decided to use some light distortion on some other songs. I ended up with the following setup:

Bass -> Effector 13 Torn's Peaker -> Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive -> SansAmp BDDI -> iAMP 500.

Three pedals from three manufactures. Put new batteries in the Torn's and the SansAmp just in case. Worked great at home. At practice plugged everything in. Tested all the footswitches, yup LEDs light up. Turn on the amp ...... no sound.

I tried different cables. I tried each effect one at a time. I tried the SansAmp multiple times during practice. No sound. The Torn's and the TS are true bypass. They worked when bypassed. And the Torn's made a loud pop when the footswitch was pressed, but no sound.

Come back home, plug everything in, works perfectly :bawl:

What could be wrong? I have successfully used an OBD3, a Phat-Hed and a Bassdriver there at various times in the past.

Help! :confused: :confused: :confused: I wouldn't dare try to gig with the setup when I can't trust it to work.

2. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    [melodramatic voice on]

You've now entered, the Twilight Zone.

[\melodramatic voice off]

3. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ha! That's actually what it felt like!

4. where all the inputs and outputs the right way?

maybe a tru bypass pedal would work both directions in bypass but only the correct way when engaged??

one pedal wrong might screw up the whole chain???

just an idea?

5. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am sure the inputs and outputs where right. The only one that is easy to get wrong is the SansAmp. In the past I have plugged into the parallel out rather than the input.

A tru bypass pedal may or may not work backwards properly, a true bypass would ;) You have to be very careful because the term tru bypass is not the same as true bypass. It's like the term "draft" beer, meaningless so they cannot be sued for false advertisement.