Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Total Fretboard Command!!!"--Here's my guess

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by btrag, Jun 7, 2005.

1. btrag

btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    Chicago
    I saw this ad on talkbass, so, I want to state, I am not trying to rip on a sponser. This ad promises total fretboard command in under an hour. It also promises a much improved ear for improvising. It's called fret2fret. It obviously piqued my interest, but I'd rather write about it here before buying it out of sheer curiousity.

My guess is that it focuses on interval relationships of notes on the fretboard. Probebly a lot on octave and scale "shapes" too. Does anybody actually know what this program consists of?

link: http://www.fret2fret.com/bass.html

2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    from the site
    Eh... it may tell you where and how to put your fingers on the neck, but will it give you a sense of the inner music necessary to solo, jam, etc.? Probably not. Really, any program that advertises becoming 'very popular with anyone' as a result seems pretty laughable, and aimed at non-musicians.

Those are all goals that people work on with dedicated teachers for years upon years, so take it with a mound of salt.

3. is anyone else bothered by the fact that the pic on the main page is just a streched guitar and not even a bass?

4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Do you really think that the reason Jimmy Page, Steve Vai, and Kurt Cobain are great guitarists is because they know/knew the note names across the entire neck?

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Total fretboard command. IN UNDER AN HOUR!!!

I am already shaking my HEAD in AMAZEMENT. :rollno:

6. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    Here's a novel idea: if you want to know your instrument, PLAY your instrument. If you carefully go through a beginning method book (Hal Leonard bass method is my favorite) you WILL know the names of the notes. If you learn and apply scales in a musical fashion, you WILL learn your fingerboard. The sort of rote memorization this "course" teaches is the same kind of "learning" you get from cramming for 8 hours the night before a test; strictly short-term, and quickly forgotten.
    Forget about "secret shortcuts" to mastering music, if they actually worked, they wouldn't be "secret".

7. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    I am not convinced that Jimmy Page or Kurt Cobain knew the note names across the entire neck. It is fairly obvious that Steve Vai does.

8. Vysous

Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Fret names? Why?
    It's important, but, is it a key to play the guitar/bass?
    It isn't.
    Practice, practice, practice, nothing than practice....
    This is The Key.

9. Kurt Cobain was a **** guitarist, anyone who urges to be like him will suck.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Jimmy Page was a popular studio guitarist in England before Zep. He played on lots of albums. I'd be willing to bet he knew every note and then some.

11. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I think it's a load of Bullhonkinshiitemuslim. Become a "Legend" in under an hour huh? And the part about only 5% of musicians know every note on the fretboard, and now you can join that 5% if you act fast......
    I guess it wouldn't be 5% anymore now would it?

What a joke.

Oog :rollno:

12. Maybe it's some kind of pill. ;)

13. No, I'm thinking more along the lines of a powder...

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    *cough* propaganda *cough*

I kinda feel bad that this is that guy's living though... :meh:

15. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'll tell anyone for free, and in about 5 seconds.

###############################
    #### Learn the C Diatonic Major Scale ####
    ###############################

Why?

Because C Diatonic Major Scale has NO sharp or flat notes. You can use just the one pattern, for all 12 keys, and you have access to all 7 Modes.

C Diatonic Major Scale is probably the best starting point to have total fretboard command.

16. omg!itsabass

omg!itsabass

Jul 12, 2005
    I just Downloaded this fret2fret deal from a music and file sharing service right... Its pretty ridiculous. First you have to memorize the notes on the low E. Right? Okay I thought there was no boring memorizing to do. But Ill go on. Next You remember someones name for each note in the music library.
    They used arnold schwartzneggar(spelling. Heh), BB king , cher, danny devito, einstien, and fidel castro. Thats using first letter of the name for each note. Next you remember this order A, D, G, C, F, A#, D#, G#, C#, F#, B, E, A.

(This is a decent method but not better than practice)

They then tell you an elaborate play with all those names included in the order A, D, G, C, F, A#, D#, G#, C#, F#, B, E, A. Now apply this to the Low E notes you memorized. Take any one and the note on that fret one string over is the next note in this "amazing" sequence--A, D, G, C, F, A#, D#, G#, C#, F#, B, E, A--for instance. Fifth fret E string is an A, then you head over to 5th fret A string...which is "magically" the next note in the sequence...

This guy says that you can get total fretboard control out of memorizing this for one hour and play MUCH better. I says that once you get this whole thing dow you still got a ways to go in practice before you can match the big stars.

I suppose its a good program but good ole practice is nice too. It would work if you could really memorize all that very well.

17. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! What a joke! At this Friday's gig, I'll have to remember to call a blues in the key of Danny DeVito. Absolutely priceless!
    My advice: Instead of memorizing notes, try learning them, by playing them in a practical context, IE learning a song, or working on reading standard notation. That will make them stick in your head much more effectively than associating them with a list of tabloid fodder.