Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

total immortal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fishbrain, May 31, 2001.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    has anyone ever heard this song by offspring?

I'm not offsprings biggest fan but this is a very kool song with a bass solo! (hold ure excitement for a moment please) but I cant find the tab anywhere and I can't work it out :(

so if anyone has the tab or would like to work it out for me or knows where i can get the tab i would be eternally grateful

spank u

2. Actually it's by AFI, the offspring did a cover of it. I would recommend figuring it out yourself. It's basically just E, G, and D. And in the bridge, the "bass solo" it slides up to A.

3. fishbrain.....listen to the original AFI version. It's 10x better than the offsprng version.

go to www.afireinside.net and you can get the tabs for it. They were tabbed by Hunter himself (the bass player for AFI).

and um fishbrain, its not really much of a bass solo, just like a few note doodle.

4. I whole heartedly agree.. (not to mention AFI is about 10x better than what the offspring has become, but that's another story) and the bass is different. Greg K just plays the roots and Hunter explores the fretboard.

5. exactly. another reason why AFI is one of my favorite bands.

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    isnt a bass solo just something were the bass takes over for a bit, not having to be a big mad complicated thing? and solo does mean one, and in this one there is only bass. so is it not a solo?

7. thats the thing, the bass DOESNT take over for a bit. at least not in the offspring version. you can barely hear the "bass solo" cause dexter's voice is heard over it. its not even near a bass solo anyways.

so if my band plays a song and if there is a second or two with me playing a few notes and nothing else is heard, is that a solo too? according to what you said, it would be. and its not

so to answer your question, no its not a solo.

and im not bashing the offspring, thats just not a bass solo.

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    no, a short thing is what i would class as a fill (probably not the right word but still) and what would you call the offspring one then?

and you can hear it clearly actually

9. i can't think of anything to call it. It's just that the bass plays something different than what it usually plays and is more noticable.