total irony!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groovking, Apr 15, 2002.

1. i cant believe i bought my daughter a squire affinity series p bass, its the cheapest bass i ever bought. i thought it would be a good starter bass. i was right. it was new and i just grabbed it after quickly inspecting the neck. i brought it home and gave it to her. i let her suffer with high action and the stock really crappy strings, with no proper setup...........well, after seeing that her interest has escalated i just put a set of light gage 45-100 ghs boomers on it after spending some time doing a complete and accurate setup. i changed no other components on the bass. the pickups surprise me! this thing sounds better than some of my other basses ive paid much more for. and in direct comparison to my 99 62rip! dead spots, buzzes or weak notes anywhere on the fretboard. this basses voice is incredible. its the sound you would look for as a perfect p bass sound. should i steal it from her? haha, .......this is no joke,..........its the quintessential p bass sound in all its glory, at its best. big punch and growl! this would be excellent for recording. i found the neck very easy to adjust, unlike some of my stiffies. im ranting,.i just blown away! and its extremely light........and if you end up scratching it all up who cares at the price! i want one.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. Very cool.

It reminds me of an amazing blues guitar player in Athens, GA. He has the most amazing collection of 50s-70s teles, but what does he play everyday? A mid eighties Squier tele--not because he is protecting the others, but because the Squier plays, and sounds better!

Sometimes, the instrument is just meant to be--doesn't matter if it was built by a man, or a CNC....

As for the bass in question--wait until she either decides she is a 'bass player,' or she decides she isn't. If she isn't, the bass is yours. If she IS, well, trade her one of your nicer ones. ;)
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IIRC, those mid-80s Squiers were made in Japan, and were a lot nicer than the Squiers you can get now.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    also you can´t play blues if the guitar doesn´t come from a ghetto pawnshop and it has to be very cheap and beaten up... or that´s what i heard :D
  5. Alright! Someone else has found that Squiers aren't POS's! Congrats on the bass. I tell people my Squier sounds great, and even better than most Mexican and some American Fenders, and they never believe me til they hear it. Squiers Rule!