1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

total newb having problems with buzzing ; (

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spartan-104, Jul 28, 2007.

1. spartan-104

spartan-104

Jul 28, 2007
    Hi all, recently I purchased an Ibanez GSR-200 for my first bass.I love it, however I am having lots of problems with buzzing ;(.I took it back to the Guitar Center where i bought it, they charged me 30 dollars and told me to come back in the next couple of days.I pick it up , take it home, and it is STILL buzzing.IDK what he did, but whatever it was, it didn't work.

Someone else told me to take a screwdriver to the bridge and turn the screws clockwise, but I am afraid I will screw it up ;p

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on how to fix my problem.

any help is much appreciated ; D

2. are you shure you are pushing your fingers down harnenuf

3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well, GC is crap.
    Go to someone who knows how to play bass. Ask them what they think.

4. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    i setup all my basses and my basses still buzz a bit. a bit is acceptable to me at least

is it BAD? are you playing too hard?

5. spartan-104

spartan-104

Jul 28, 2007
    I am holding down as hard as possible lol

it doesn't buzz as bad when I play with my fingers as it does with pick (I try to mix it up).I wasn't sure if I was playing too hard, because I have seen people (from what it looks like)play harder than me, but then again I don't really know a whole lot ;P

I don't think the buzzing is horrible , its enough to make it sound bad though ; (

6. its probably a buzz coming from either inside or perhaps the bridge. Sometimes a certain frequency will set off a slight buzz in my ray. You may find it gets worse when playing some notes.

If it doesn't come through the amp as a buzz, then I wouldn't really worry about it.

7. spartan-104

spartan-104

Jul 28, 2007
    I think its coming a little from both its kinda hard to tell my cord is really cheap/short lol

does anyone think it would help to take it somewhere with a better amp/hookups and whatnot to give it a listen?
    or maybe change strings?I heard ernieball super slinkys were really good.

BTW
    just in case ANYbody cares I am trying to make a band, so thats why the buzzing is worrying me.I don't want to sound up there ;p

8. FenderBinder

FenderBinder

Mar 24, 2007
    Atlanta

PLay ur bass unplugged. individually pluck each note on every string. you'll know when u hear the buzz.. come back and tell us if there is buzzing that way. also tell what fret and string its buzzing on.

It could be a variety of things causing the buzz. A setup is always good on any bass purchase. A good guitar tech will fix any problems or bring them to your attention. Come back and tell us whats frets are buzzing and string.

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think by buzz, he is talking about 60 cycle hum.
    Maybe there is no shielding in the bass...or something is not properly grounded.
    Could just be a crappy guitar cord/cable.
    Try a different cable for starters

10. spartan-104

spartan-104

Jul 28, 2007
    ok it seems to me, like 1 through 4 are buzzing on the first and second strings.(second and third fret on top string being the worst)