1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Total newbie needs equipment help!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by emuemu, Jan 14, 2012.

1. emuemu

emuemu

Jan 14, 2012
    Hello there talkbass! I'm a casual bass player and totally new to recording; however, I'd like to be able to record bass, voice, and ukulele all with one mic if possible. I'm a poor college student at the moment, so I'm looking for a reasonably priced mic since I'll be recording on a laptop (and I know nothing about my soundcard specs, sorry!). I've used the integrated laptop mic before and I can make it pick up some bass notes, but there's a lot of noise which I'd like to avoid. This mic wouldn't be for serious recording so the sound doesn't have to be superb; I'm just not sure where or how to start looking for a decent mic, and the stuff that people have posted before seems to be more high-end equipment solely for bass recording.

So, to sum it up, does anyone have a suggestion a decent all-around mic that will also pick up bass? Or would you be able to record from a direct input cable at the same time as vocal and ukulele?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!