Total Newbie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whore, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Whore

Mar 23, 2002
    I have been playing guitar for several years and decided last week that I would get myself a bass to learn on. Most of the shops around here (eastern Canada) have very expensive basses and shipping from other areas in Canada or the US tends to be very expensive. Originally I was looking an an acoustic bass, but I have read that they would need to be amplified to be heard anyway because the sound was low and I wouldn't be able to afford a decent one.
    A friend of mine offered to sell me his BC Rich Warlock Platinum series for $250 CDN (approx $160 US). I have been reading a lot of negative comments on this bass throughout this forum, but I am wondering if considering the dollar amount and my absolute beginner status would this bass be suitable for learning on?
    This is not an instance of me thinking that a guitar looking a certian way means it will be better or worse because I didn't even know what the warlock looked like until a few days ago and I would hope a outgrew the "That looks cool so I must have it" phase of life about 10-15 years ago :)
    Just wonding if this guitar is good enough to learn the basics on (I know any bass may do for basics, but I wouldn't want to pick up bad habits from a bad design or something that would have a long term impact on learning). Thanks for any help.
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That's a very flattering screen name you got there.

(See how it detracts attention from your questions, making me not to answer them? ;))
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Ah well, to answer the question, yes, it is suitable learning the basics on. Pretty much any bass is. Just make sure that the bass is in good condition: that the neck isn't twisted, the electronics are in healthy condition and the frets don't give excessive buzzing in specific spots.

Welcome to our little world! :D
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, if it has the "Widow" headstock you know it must sound great!!! ;) ;)

You're acquainted with pickups, decent action, and what playability feels like, so why not go ahead as long as you find it comfortable to play and the sound is acceptable??? I mean, $160 in the US usually only buys you a used bass that has something major wrong with it. If the price was around $300US, that would be another story.

If you decide to give up playing bass at some point, you'll be able to get out fairly cheaply.

If you decide to stick with playing bass, you could eBay it or use it as a backup when you decide to get a serious bass, (I don't think the BC would have a lot of trade-in value).

Talena whatshername of Kittie might buy it from you. There always seems to be enough Goths to go around. :D
  5. Whore

Mar 23, 2002
    Well it is still in brand new condition. A few years old. Never been plugged into an amp (not that it matters a whole lot, but apart from a little 9v battery operated amp he got with it he didn't use anything else) . The guy got it to learn on and quickly found out that he has no musical ability :)
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Agreed, Oyster. I was wondering if that's a professional name or just a career aspiration???
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ouch. :D
  8. Whore

Mar 23, 2002
    Maybe someday...
    It's good to set goals
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    LOL! I like your style, wh... newbie! :D
  10. Hey dude, I'm from Eastern Canada too. The Warlock sounds like a good deal if u r into that kinda thing (which I am). But u say that u have a lot of trouble finding a good instrument that is reasonably priced. If you go to Musicstop they have pretty good stuff and most of it is reasonably priced. You can even get some good used deals.
  11. Whore

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks for the info. The Musicstop in this province is about a 9 hour drive away from me so I don't make it to that area very often. I am figuring that if I keep with the bass and decide to upgrade later it might be a worthwhile trip though.
  12. Have you tried looking on ebay , in the regional sections, at least it would give you an idea of what the Warlocks go for.

As to your name, I too prefer to keep my amateur status, keeps me eligible for the Olympics.
    Whoohoo Nagano in 08!!
  13. Whore

Mar 23, 2002
    I did a check of ebay a few times, but I have only found 1 available to Canada.
    I think I am getting a pretty good deal on my friends bass considering the amount of times he used it.
    I hope to see you in the Olympics in 08 (oh and don't go bothering the french judge to vote for you, she's mine!)
  14. it again, whore.
    /dana carvey

any excuse to say that...
  15. Whore

Mar 23, 2002
    Thank you all for your help.
    I will be picking up the bass next weekend and then...
    Let the learning begin :)
  16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

welcome Whore:D