1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Total pickup and electronics renovation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by knegolf, Mar 26, 2013.

1. knegolf

knegolf

Dec 23, 2007
    Sweden
    Hi.
    I have recently become interested in replacing the pickups and electronics in my bass, and found a pair of pickups that seem very interesting. (http://www.lundgren.se/en/mics/bass-e/soapbar-humbucker/)
    They are interesting to me because they fit my cavities perfectly and they seem very versatile, but mostly because they are made by hand in Sweden.
    (I am currently using Kent Armstrong Soapbars)

The electronics in my bass consist of a system called Esh tronic, which is made by a german company called Esh. It has an onboard preamp with four stages as follow; Active with piezo, Passive with Piezo, Active without Piezo and direct output. The bass also has a four mode rotary switch which has the following modes. Series. Parallell, 80% bridge pickup with midboost and a fourth mode that i can't remember at this time.

Now to the question, I am trying to find an electronics system which lets me take the most advantage of the lundgren pickups flexibility and I am in need of tips and ideas of what can be done.
    A system i have been thinking of involves the ability to switch the pickups internally to series, single or parallel mode as well as being able to switch the pickups in series, single or parallel with each other. For instance, the neck pickup in series wired in parallel with the bridge pickup in singlecoil or the neck pickup in parallel wired in series with the bridge pickup wired in parallel and so on. I have been led to believe that this is possible with the use of three DPDT switches (on on on), but i may be wrong. I have also been thinking of using a pan pot between the pickups to better control their relative levels. I would also like to fit an individual volume control for the on board piezo, which is situated under the bridge, just under the D and G strings.(It mainly picks up the highs from the A,D and G strings).
    I do not feel that a tone pot is absolutely necessary since i have never used it for anything at all.

The electronics cavity in my bass is relatively large, and has room for at least four pots/rotary switches as well as four DPDT switches.

Thank you for your help.

/Anders.