1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Total pickup/pot replacment - a few questions.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Punisher Bass, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    I've spent the last several months rebuilding my old Peavey, and it's coming up on the time to replace all the inside goodies and wires. I've never done this before, but I believe I have all the gear needed to do the job. I just have a few questions about everything.

The pickups I'm installing is a set of Basslines Quarter Pound SPB 3's with 500k pots. Here is a copy of the wiring diagram.

[​IMG]

And here are my questions. While the answers might be obvious, I just wanted to make sure before I started anything.

Do the wires have to touch each other in the solder locations, or can they just lay in the general area and all the signals will pass through the solder?

The third tab on the volume control, am I correct to think it needs to be bent upwards and laid flat on the bottom of the pot?

Is it ok if I trim the ends of the new capacitor to make things fit better, of must I leave them the normal length?

2. The wires to ground don't have to touch.

The diagram want the lug to touch the case so it's grounded. You can do effectively the same thing with a small piece of wire if you'd rather not push it into the case and cover it in solder.

You can trim the extra length off the capacitor. Just remember you can bend the longer length, but there's no solution once you've cut it short.

Good luck and enjoy!

3. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    Thank you very much.

4. Punisher Bass

Punisher Bass

Dec 24, 2008
    St Louis MO
    I just wanted to say thanks once again and that I was able to get everything done without much problem. Some of the solder joints aren't very pretty, but for a first timer I'd say they aren't too bad on average.

I was also overjoyed to hear SOUND come out when I plugged it in for the first time, the whole time I had the iron out I kept looking up to see Mr Murphy sitting at the other end of the table with a big smile on his face.

5. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    For soldering the most important thing is that the solder flows like water to both surfaces. If you have a blob sitting on the pot shield, it will fail.