1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Total Watt confusion, need advice: Head for EBS 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MattOfSweden, Feb 27, 2008.

1. MattOfSweden

MattOfSweden Playing for time

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Hello guys,

I have a 4ohm 4x10 EBS proline cabinet, and am now shopping for a head to go with it.

After some browsing and playing in stores I had two alternatives - the high priced one being an EBS HD350 (listed 350W), the low priced one being the Warwick ProFet 3.2 (listed 300W).

Today I played "Live" with the Warwick head - just me, guitar and saxophone - no drums, no keys, no vocals. I was awestruck - I could not believe how "quiet" the Warwick sounded - ok it was pretty loud, but that was with the master volume at MAX, and input level just starting to clip.

Was the Warwick head defect, or is 300 Warwick Watts not enough to make your ears say no?

I'm really confused here - should ~300W (in 4ohm) be enough, or should I look for something much higher? Would the EBS HD350 work volume wise for me when the Warwick profet 3.2 didn't?

I won't go with the Warwick, that's for sure, (didn't like the sound from it in addition to volume being too low) but should I get?

I'm new here, and really hope for your advice.

I want good allround sound to cover as many styles as possible. Basses are Yamaha bb3000s, Fender Jazz and Corvette $$.

peace / M

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    in my experience 300w into 4ohms is MINIMUM FOR a good band situation. maybe the compressor rate was too high or contour was cutting too much mids. don't use DEEP or too much BASS. THAT will gobble up power.

If you're young and want your ears to bleed or windows to blow out when you turn it up you'll need more speakers and about 10x more power... :rolleyes:

3. MattOfSweden

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Not really want my ears to bleed, but also don't want to be at full throttle just to be heard with a saxophone and a guitarist... Guess maybe I was expecting too much from 300W's... Then again I played my cabinet with a GK backline 250 earlier, and that head was loud - definitely couldn't max that one out without ears bleeding (our sax player's at least :).

I was really hoping for the Warwick 3.2 to make a great impression which it didn't. Eq set flat, contour/compressor/deep&bright off it just sounded rediculous - had to at least ramp up bass and low mid for decent volume! (no drummer today, needed this just to match a saxophone and a guitar...) Adding in deep and bright filters further improved volume, but then I got stuck with the "hightech" Miller kind of sound which is cool, but not very versatile if you want to do non-slap stuff, which is the case >80% of the time for me...

Guess my biggest question right now is whether it's the Warwick Watts that are failing me, and an EBS HD350 would solve everything, or if I should look for something around 500-700-1000W....

Short term money is a factor of course, but I'm in no hurry... Just want an allround awesome head to go with my 4x10...

4. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    Man, 300W into a 4x10 and it wasn't loud enough to play with a guitar and a saxophone? I've held my own with my 200W 2x10 Yorkville combo, which actually puts out about 140W without an extension cab... you must play with a very loud sax player!

5. MattOfSweden

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Respect - Guess Warwick Watts and Yorkville Watts are not the same... And yes, my sax player is loud (and jazzy...)
    Maybe it's my paranoia for solid state distortion (not nice) - if I turn up the gain so the Clip led lights up red all the time it get's pretty loud, but it feels like you shouldn't have to do that.

6. maschine

maschine

Sep 13, 2007
    Germany
    Go for the HD350. Why? Later you can upgrade to a full stack with another EBS cab (15F or 410). You can run the stack @2ohms that should yield a serious boost. The profets minimum impedance is 4ohm, so you should use only one 4ohm cab.

Cheers
    Karl

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used that 200 watt Yorkville too. It is loud for only 140 watts using the internal speakers alone and quite a bit louder using it with an extension cabinet.

But I can't believe the Warwick would be so feeble into a 4x10 cabinet. Also, I can't see why a sax and drum combination would want to play so loud that it couldn't keep up. I must be getting way too old.

The Warwick heads I've tried seemed decent as far as power output. Just overpriced compared to other gear that's easily as good. I've also played through the EBS head into an 8 ohm cabinet in a loud club gig with a 4 piece band. It had no trouble keeping up. It had a good punchy sound, very distinct and solid state like.

Maybe it's time to get the GK 2001RB. Bridged into even 8 ohms, it'll melt most speaker cabinets.

8. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    yeah, warwick's 300 Ws are less than EBS's 300W... I'm using a 300W RMS head (I've measured it's output, and is really 300W) with EBS210, and it is hell loud! the 410 is even 3db louder...

the 'wick and the EBS heads are very different animals, anyway..

9. MattOfSweden

Feb 2, 2008
    Sweden
    Thanks for all your replies. The Warwick is now off my list, and my search for a great sounding head goes on. At the moment I'm reading up on the Ashdown threads here - Will definitely test drive one of those :)