Totally ampless....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, May 30, 2001.

1. Does anyone here have NO amp? Goes direct all the time? I am getting so lazy that I am thinking of doing this.
  2. Andy,

Just think of all that you wouldn't carry around with you. What would bass playing be without all the weight and hassle?
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    NEVER! I'm a control freak. I like my controls so I can taylor my tone to fit the place. Loading in and out of my equipment is part of the fun as long as you aren't humping a 200 lbs. cab up a fire escape.

Now I do live in a country where we have this love affair with our automobiles. And we buy big ones just to haul equipment around if for no other use. I guess if I lived in a place like Japan or Turkey then it might be a different story. I'd hate slepping an amp on the train.

Also I need another piece of equipment to spend my hard earned dollars on. I wouldn't know what to do with all that money that was saved on not buying an amp.

For me the amp has got to stay. Worst case would be taking my Eden 500 (11 lbs) with the Bag End single 15" (45 lbs.) when I don't have anyone to help. I guess for the ultimate in light weight there is the "air bass"...just kidding.
  4. alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    My current group rehearses by running everything into the board and monitoring by use of a headphone amp. I run direct via my Alembic F-1X, no amp, and the guitars and drums are full on live.

This set up works great as you can hear everything part mixed well, and I don't have to lug a cab around.

5. Hey Andy,

I realize you want to use BOTH hands to cradle that beautiful new custom bass you had built. But c'mon, its Un-Bassic to not haul a bunch of junk around. Hell, somebody might take you for a banjo player or something [ grin ]

Just to keep the planet from spinning off kilter after you divested your weight, I have added to mine over here. My new power amp is an MX-3000a which tips in at 69 pounds. Add the rack, the F-1X, the Rane gear, and it's two people to get the rack out of the truck. Add in 150 pounds each for my 2 15" cabs. Stairs???? We don't need no stinking stairs!

[ big, huge grin ]
  6. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    I think it's necassary to use an amp to acheive *your* perfect tone. Just my opinion tho.
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There's a guy locally who plays a Fender Performer straight through the PA. For him, it works. He gets a nice sound out of it, and he's used to the stage sound. He's also a pick player, if that means anything.
  8. I think the soundman at church would run up and kiss me if I didn't use my amp!! :D As it is now, I only have it on about 1.5 for a stage monitor (GK700RB/210 combo amp).
  9. for thought.

I might go the whole logical hog, give up bass and take up harmonica....

10. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I played in a road band for years where everyone went direct, using no amps on stage. The fact that the drummer also used electronic drums, we had a BIG P.A. system and good monitors with 15" speakers helped. You can get an amazingly good sound like this. I'd love to try this again with everyone using in-ear monitors instead of the wedges. This is what more and more National acts are doing. If I could only get past the crappy sound of those electronic drums.

Come to think of it, I'm currently playing in a band with no's called bluegrass.
  11. Personally, I think this is a tremendously good idea. For guitarists, put a small tube driven amp into an mic'ed isolation box so they can get their overdriven tone, then pipe the mic'ed amp through the PA and the in-ear monitors.
  12. I just got a Line 6 Bass Pod Pro to try this very thing out and have different "amps" for the different bands I play with.

With my wireless I'll still be able to go out and check up on the sound guy and tailor my sound <g>
  13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Andy, I play harp and I won't even consider getting up there without my '59 Bassman. I'm too deep into tone to give the amp up. I just love amps and feel that it is a major part of one's music.
  14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I run the same as Fretlesschris for much of my work. POD pro and a wireless in a 3 space rack. That's it. We use Roland V drums and the guitarists uses his pedal board into a Fender tube amp and then into a Marshall SE100 on full soak. In other words. no speakers on stage but monitors. It takes a little adjustment, but you end up with a setup that works wonderfully at any size ventue. I love it. You have to have faith in your soundman, but if you have good one, you sound absolutely great.

15. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I see the G.A.S. anonymous meetings are paying off.