1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Totally committed and reborn as a bassist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shatterd, Mar 3, 2008.

1. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Former guitarist. OK...what should I do with my guitar gear?

I have an Ibanez RG 2570 Prestige guitar and a Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12 amp. Amp was 829.00 and guitar was 879.00 new. Both are near mint.

I'd love to get some bass gear. I don't ever plan on going back to guitar.

Amp is heavy and would be a pain to ship.

Should I put in classifieds or take to a music shop and trade in for bass gear?

I'll be lucky to get half the value for this stuff.

I also have a bunch of guitar instructional DVD's. I guess I could put all this stuff together and sell it as a package deal to a new guitar student. Perhaps my old guitar teacher could post an add in his studio for his students to see it. This would be an awesome package for a new guitarist. They would be instantly ready for the stage....gear wise anyway.

Then I could buy a new bass amp or a 2nd bass. I also hope to eventually buy a Boss multi track recorder with built in drum machine.

For what it's worth. Surely there are some former guitarists here. What did yall do with your gear?....assuming you never went back to the dark side.

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Keep it if you can afford to. Chances are, especially if you get into recording, you'll want access to a guitar in the future.

3. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    If you ever start to record your own stuff, you might wish you had your guitar gear and the chops to go with it....

Just a thought. Otherwise, ebay it! Welcome to the low end.

4. I sold my gear to the guitarist in my band. I kept the guitar because it is very special to me and was what really got me started.

You could swing a trade at guitar center for the amp. I would keep the guitar just in case you ever wanted to play it.... I will work through your bass rig.

5. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    ;) Beat me to it.

6. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    This is probably the wrong area for your post, but I'll give my 2c anyway.

You're definitely better off either trying to trade, or to outright sell your stuff. You'll get more off eBay than just trading the stuff in to a music store.

But I have a feeling you may really regret getting rid of your guitar stuff. You'll eventually wanna be able to play a guitar every once in a while, and then you'll kick yourself for having given up you axe. So maybe just sell the amp and use that money for a bass.

I'd try Craigslist first. It's free, and local. You avoid shipping and there's no overhead.