1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Totally screwed:(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DumbChild, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Hey guys, thought id share a bit of my life story with u. ( It does have something to do with bass, ill get there)

Ok im 16, i left school at the end of last year so i could get work and money and leave my home. ( Personal issues with my step father caused this) I realised how unrealistic this is and am now forced to continue living under this roof or go out onto the street. (sometimes the street seems better)

Anyway ive left school and went job searching. A little bit along the track i went to stay with my girlfriend for a few nights to take a break from home. She decides to take some drugs that night and as i was standing on her balcony, she pushes me over. I fractured my wrist and damaged both my feet. I grabbed my stuff and left that night, in alot of pain. I called my parent to make the 2 hour car trip to come get me.

I had to wear plaster and a cast for about 4 weeks before i was allowed to work or play bass:(. So that shot my chances of finding work and im buiding up debt. I am finally in good repair and my step dad no longer makes me stand outside my house in my underwear as a punishment (long story), so things are kinda picking up. But i am still unemployed and the 50 dollars i get a week from the government i give to mum cause she needs it.

I want to be a bassist more then anyone could imagine and i will do it no matter what anyone says or thinks, no matter how realistic it is. But at the moment i cant even afford a train ticket to my local music shop and i have applied everywhere in the state i swear. I have a bass and a small amp which is about to die by the looks of it. But every second im not job searching, im either on this forum, practicing, playing with some friends or listening to music.

Music is the reason i live, but from whats happening now, i just dont know what to do. Apparently if i dont have work by the 9th of next month, the government cuts payments and im getting kicked out. Alot for a 16 year old to deal with, i dont ask for alot of stuff, i just want to be able to afford some gear and get lessons and enjoy what i do. Which is playing bass.

Anyway i needed to get that off my chest, ive actually been crying all afternoon. 16 year old male crying:bawl: i feel so stupid.

2. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I'll post the same Bob Dylan quote I just posted for the other depressed guy:

The line it is drawn
    The curse it is cast
    The slow one now
    Will later be fast
    As the present now
    Will later be past
    The order is
    Rapidly fadin'.
    And the first one now
    Will later be last
    For the times they are a-changin'.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Can you get back into school?

4. Nope, i have no choice but to find a job quick smart, or probably be kicked out to live with my other parent. I dont want to do that for other reasons.

The only thing i really care about is playing my bass

5. Sorry to be a dick, but reality check here, bass probably wont provide you with a stable income or anything along those lines, you should try and get back into school or your going to regret it, i dont know about in the US, but over here leaving high school at 16 leaves you with very little in the way of qualifications giving you even less of a chance at jobs etc

Not many of us get to do what we have a true passion for as a career, right now im in university but have been pretty much hating most of my higher education for the last two years and hated most of high school, but have to stick through this for the prospects at the end of the tunnel, giving me not only chances in that field but generally higher chances at any job in the future, job = cash = money into things i love, i know things are probably seeming pretty bad, but go and talk to the principal at your school and try and see if you can get back in, sit down and talk to your mum, let her know how you feel and if it is truely as bad as your making out (but im not saying anything as we only know one side) then she would hopefully understand as you are her blood, and that paternal bond should be stronger than that with your step dad, and hopefulyl she would be able to get him to ease up on you

6. yea ive been through all that with her, i think thats why hes cut bak on being a cock. Yea i agree with everything u said. I live in australia by the way and 16 doesnt leave us a whole deal of options either. I am not sure what happened yet, but no school will let me back in. But i was considering finishing 12 through tafe, but then money comes back into play cause i cant afford it.

7. sorry, my bad, i just always assume people are from the us when it doesnt say where they are from

I dont know what the education system is like over there, but over here colleges do courses where you can get your high school qualifications, these usually cost some money, but not too much, if it is in any way possible to look into that? What my gf is doing is starting back at college to get her highers (the high school qualifications we have here in scotland), but she's doing night classes that are only once a week for a couple hours (one subject a night kind of thing, you can do as many as you can handle basically), and is working part time through the days to make ends meet

maybe something similar could work for you? you would need to be able to put a bit of money out upfront but would be able to work and get your education at the same time, this is of course there is similar availible in aus, which im sure there will be ?

8. I am totally open to look into anything. and i am positive that kind of thing is available, but it costs more then i have. Well actually i owe more money then it costs lol. Problem being before i return to education, which i guarantee i will as soon as i can, i will need money and i still have to be doing something by the 9th of next month or i will have to live with my bio dad.

9. Ok, well concentrate on getting a job, go about all your local shops and look in the newspapers etc, surely something will pop up :) , just try and get down to get into the college as soon as possible, is there no hardship grant or bursary system on your end by which you would be paid through college?

10. yea ive been roaming the streets introducing myself to everyone and handing resumes in everywhere imaginable. I will continue trying my very hardest, but i dont want to live with my dad. I will head into education asap, i promise^^. thanks for ur help matey

11. Oh by the way whats a hardship grant or bursary system, im a newb when it comes to that kinda stuff:D

12. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    1. If you haven't already, ditch your druggie girlfriend.
    2. Re-enroll in school and finish it. Put your efforts into it. Your situations are temporary; no need to mess up the rest of your life because of it. Remain a drop out and you are subjecting yourself to a lifetime of mediocrety at best.
    3. Chill out on the bass. Play it for fun. Do something with your life and play your bass because you want to and you choose to, not because you have to or you will starve. That starving artist thing is so overrated.

Finish school, get a good job, work more than you have to and do your best (so you will succeed in your job, just not collect a paycheck) and play your bass as a release.

13. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    man i do not miss being a teenager. look at jobs that you wouldnt even consider taking. trash collection, fast food, grocery store. work at the airport as a baggage handler. there has to be someone willing to hire a 16 year old. as for your step dad, you live in australia right? whack him in the head with a boomerang and tell him to quit being a prick. the school issue, well my advice is follow your gut instinct on that one. school isnt for everyone.

14. Druggie was ditched. She has tried to ring me several times and come by my house.

In regards to my dad being wacked, i would do that except my mum needs him and ive made her sad enough as it is. Trying to leave and all at start of this year. I just try to get along even though hes done things i wont mention in this forum. I will get a job eventually, its just not happening right away and its driving me insane that all this has been dropped on me at once. But ill live.

And finally in regards to me sitting bak and playing in my spare time. Not gonna happen im afraid i want to play for a living, wether realistic or not, ill try anyway. If it doesnt work ill just keep at it. Ive only got my one chance at living and im going to do what i love most. So either you will see me in a few years doing what i enjoy, or on the street somewhere. Either way i know i did my best.

If man thinks of doing something, he ought to go out there and do it...
    If he fails to achieve his goal, it's simply because he didn't do anything. Hmm i dont know who made that up, but i dont think they spoke english...

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I agree that school should be the number one thing on your mind right now. Without any education, you'll be picking up garbage for the rest of your life.

But for starters, if you want a job, ask from construction sites. Ask the site managers if they would have a job for a kid to do general tasks, promise them that you'll work hard once you'll get your cast off, and tell that you're humble and willing to start from whatever they can or want to offer. It's hard work, real work, and you'll have to do lousy tasks all the time, but the people usually are straight and fair as long as you're willing to do whatever task you're given. It's not much, but it's a start, and gets you some money before you can head back to school. And it's a point on your work resume, too.

As you're a minor, does the state offer social services? If you're that poorly off with your parents, the social services might be able to get you a place to sleep and possibly help you with your school. Asking for advice from a juvenile social worker or whoever takes care of the kids around there might be a smart thing to do right now. He could at least tell you what your options are.

16. I spoke to the socail services. I am better off at home, i am not ready to support myself. Plus the government dont think its bad enough, cause theres no proof of this and that.. But home has been ok for a little while so, im hoping hes over himself now. All i have to focus on is a job and some education.

17. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to play bass for a living. But you have to have a fallback plan besides vagrancy. There's no reason you can't have a good education and pursue both until you make a decision because you can CHOOSE to do one or the other.

Yes, it's true, school isn't for everyone. Someone has to fill up the cars with gas, serve fries, etc. You have to realize that you may not realize your goal of becoming a pro bassist. If that doesn't happen, would you rather be sweeping floors somewhere, or making some decent money and providing for your family if you choose to start one.

I thought it would be great to be a rock star when I was 16. Now I thank God that I didn't throw away my education and practically live on the streets hoping for that one in a million shot. Now I make great money at my day job and I can play whenever I want, on my terms, and my family doesn't want for anything.

18. Yea i will have a back up, but i still know what i wish to do. And i cant see myself starting a family, not my thing.

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    No school will let you back in? It sounds like something is going on that you're not telling.

But as with everyone else, my advice is to finish high school. Unless you're the next paul mac/jaco/whoever, you're destined to a touogh life as a musician, and lacking a high school education will only worsen that.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A dick if you say so, but a dick bearing solid advice.