1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Totally Terrible Tone...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jereth, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Jereth

Jereth Still lovin' that cake...

Jun 20, 2006
    Ireland
    In your own opinion, who do you think has the worst bass tone, either in just one song or if it's a bass players consistant tone or wherever you heard it...

IMHO, I think Steve Harris has such diabolical tone. I recenetly saw Maiden live and was fairly close to the stage(just before the pit, against the railings). Now when I see briliant bands like that live I always fantasize about being the bassist up there enjoying the brilliant and energetic show(since I left my previous band, I miss t'gigging very much). I really don't like Trivium anymore, but I imagined myself up there with them having a great time.

Then Maiden came along, with his terrible click and giutar-like-bass-wielding, terrible I thought. Great show, but I couldn't imagine myself enjoying the show with that tone. I saw Metallica in the summer, and Rob Trujillo with his thundering tone always appealled to me...

Thoughts?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yeah, Steve Harris does get a pretty nasty sound.

Troy from Mastodon is a repeat offender. They are an amazing band, and the rest of the band all sound great and well mixed, so I always wonder why Troy has to sound so unaturally soupy and sludgy! :confused:

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    There's one really, really famous player that, IMHO, doesn't have such swift tone live, but I don't want to crack on him.

;)

4. Michael Anthony's tone really sucked on old Van Halen.
    Farty & woofy.

5. 905

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    John Entwistle's tone in the later years sucked bad.
    I could see it being used in a short solo or something, but not for a whole song, or a whole decade, for that matter... bleh.

6. Sad but true. That fizzy, synthetic tone cannot be seriously listened to when you remember the triumph of Live at Leeds.

Still, he was deaf as a beetle, as my old Nan used to say.

I think Fieldy's tone is horrific, but I don't really need to go into that one do I?

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Actually, 2006 was an eye and ear opener for me as far as pro live bass tone. I saw several big name bass players in 2006, and I was underwhelmed with most of the tone. I went in expecting tone heaven, and what came out in the house was satisfactory at best.

It amazed me, since I thought these guys would have the bucks and resources to ensure that the tone was heavenly in all venues.

Not so much. Not even close.

8. I have never been able to get myself into Jaco's tone, I'm not sure why, I just find it... ugly... in comparison to others anyway. Now then, lets not turn this into a Jaco fest, I don't believe a rebuttle to this comment is needed or else this will become a Jaco thread.

Feildy also has horrific tone, it seems he wishes to loose the pitch of his notes and keep the clickety-clack sound going. Well, if it works for him, strokes for folks I guess.

9. Most Nu-Metal bands..

My friend calls it "Butt-Rock", cause it sounds like the song is dragging it's @ss along the ground....

Fieldy

...and this guy, for making a Ric sound so bad..sorry, but that S.S. amp sounds like crap when cranked(Billy Gould has gotten better sounds from a lowly Peavey):

Ouch, get some tubes, like Paul D'Amour or Chris Squire!:help:

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Threads like this always remind me of how far my sensibilities are from so many others bass players especially about tone. Steve Priest, young Jack Bruce and Michael Anthony are so much closer to my idea of tone heaven than any of the usual darlings of the talkbass community.

12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    +1
    Band I'm in covers that song....so my Line 6 has a patch I made where that "sound" is duplicated. I don't use it except for that song at gigs.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep. tonal dung right there! Big, flabby and with no definition, what more could one ask for? :rolleyes:

14. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I actually like harris' bass sound.
    Most modern rock/metal bassists in general for me, too much boom, horribly scooped (NO MIDS!!), and usually inaudible.

15. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    I really love that tone, it suits the music GREAT.
    It sounds great IMHO.

This Radiohead performance springs to mind when you mention bad bass tone.

Especially at the following times onwards.

5:38
    2:36

16. DGbass70

DGbass70

Jun 1, 2005
    Rochester N.Y.
    Robert Trujillo's tone w/Infectious Grooves i think is really nice.

As far as terrible i would say Fieldy's tone could be on that list.
    With that said, some might like his tone so is just personal preference.

17. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    :confused:

18. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Haha, I actually love that tone. Gloriously raw and overdriven.

But then, I dislike the squeaky-clean, mid-scooped, sterile tone that Joe Modern Bass Player uses these days.

19. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Anything that is so mid-scooped that it doesn't cut through anything . . . i.e. Flea's early and live tones . . . he sounds GREAT on "Californication", "Stadium Arcadium", and especially "By the Way", but I just saw them live, and his tone was absolutely horrendous.

John Myung is a great example of a great bass player who plays great basslines but whose tone is just so bad . . . good tone was "Awake", "Scenes From a Memory", and "Six Degrees" . . . bad tone was everything else, especially live. He does the whole "hollow" mid-scooped sound and it just kills everything he plays. I'm sure the venue didn't help, but man did he sound bad.

Uh . . . I really don't like the old thumpy Motown sound. This is strange, because I love McCartney's tone, and he was quite heavily rooted in Motown. Thump must have a lot definition for me, too, a la McCartney, John Entwistle (though his studio recordings were spotty, tone-wise) or John Deacon. The only exception to the thump rule for me is Brandon Curtis of the Secret Machines and Chris Wolstenholme from Muse . . . they can have whatever tone they want and I still love them for some reason.

Maybe it would help to give my idea of perfect bass tone: Geddy Lee's Ric, Geddy Lee's Wal, Chris Squire on "The Yes Album" through "Relayer", Dave Meros up through "V", Ray Shulman's P-bass, Mike Rutherford on "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", um . . . Paul McCartney on "Abbey Road", Adam Clayton (say what you will about his playing, but he has AMAZING tone), Dee Murray's P-bass, and Juan Alderete on "Frances the Mute" and "Amputechture". Oh, and everything Colin Edwin from Porcupine Tree ever played.

20. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Yep. I recently watched a couple youtube clips of later Entwistle stuff and the tone was so overdriven that it was almost unlistenable.