Totaly Newbie Need Help Choosing Best Bass for cheap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathtrigga, May 11, 2005.

1. deathtrigga

May 11, 2005
    Hello all im new here as u can probably tell by the title of this thread. I have a question im really interested in learning the bass but i no nothing at all about it, and my friends want to start a band and want me to join after learning bass. I have a question, i would like to no what bass to start off with as a beginner, i want something thats really worth it but not to expensive. My friend suggested a Fender Standard P Bass. I looked into it but its kind of expensive, about 400dollars. I was wondering if there is anything cheaper that has good value to it and that is worth it. Please leave any comments and or suggestions as to what i can do, Thank-you .

PS: i would idealy like to spend to mayb 300 at the max mayb a little bit more but it depends. thanks again
  2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd look into the mega-thread on SX basses.

SX bass thread

The consensus seems to be you can't do much better than the SX basses for under $400 new. You'll save enough that you can buy yourself a decent combo amp.

SX P-type basses start at $109, Jazz-type basses start at $119. SOme people have reported them to be of higher build quality (body, neck) than the regular Fender basses, which are made in Mexico. The SX basses are made in China, where labor is ridiculously cheap.

They're only available at:
    Rondo music
  3. I am also new to the bass, and music in general (At the beginning of week 2 of my self-imposed intensive training regime), and probably in no position to be giving advice.

In my experience, though, I've found Yamahas to be well above the rest of the basses I've tried in the lower price range. I did have trouble with the input jack, but I just opened up the back and tightened something that should have been tighter, and problem solved.
    I was shopping around for a long time before I finally took the plunge for my mist green Yamaha RBX270J. I've tried Squiers, Fender Standard Precision and Standard Jazz models, a few Ibanez, Tanglewoods and such from various stores in my area.

Despite knowing very little about the instrument, I was going on instinct and what felt and seemed right to me. I found the Yamaha was more comfortable, the neck was finished better and with a little playing experience behind me, very easy to play. It's quite a slim neck, good if you don't have hands like dustbin lids, which is what it felt like I needed to play some of the other basses I tried.

The tone it puts out is good, and the passive electronics give you a reasonable amount of control over the tone, you can get a fat, warm, "boomy" bass sound out of it, or with a little fiddling, a brighter and punchier tone. Or, mix the two. Whatever floats your boat.
    My Yamaha set me back about £200. I've never looked back since I carried it home - 8 miles in abnormally hot British sun. If those $'s are American, you would most likely get it a lot cheaper than I did.

I can't give you much information about the others, except what I experienced whilst shopping around.

I found the Ibanez basses to have very light necks that might be easier for a beginner to get to grips with. The Ibanez were definately some of the nicer looking basses, too. The strings got quite cramped, though. Even 4 string basses were quite narrow necked. The tone is very... thin? Not what I'd expect from a bass, anyway. They didn't seem to have the strength behind them, and I was playing around on what must have been at least 50-100 watt amps.

Fenders... I might have just got unlucky and found a few bad basses that escaped quality control, but the frets were uneven and rough on the sides of the neck, the basses were generally notbalanced very well at all, and everything just felt... sloppy. Put out a nice tone, especially the Jazz, but I was scared that the whole thing was just going to drop to pieces in my hands. Thumbs up for looks, classic looking bass. If I ever buy a Fender in the future, it will not be a Fender Standard.

Squiers were pretty much the same as above, but the tone was pretty weedy and the finish of one actually left blue stains on my hand. :meh:

I have probably not helped at all, but hey, I tried! My best advice would be to do what I did - do a little homework, and then go out and try out everything you can get your hands on! Even if you don't know what you're looking for, or what anything does, grab an assistant and have them explain everything. Just ignore the sales talk and listen to facts.

Good luck with it all.
  4. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    'Despite knowing very little about the instrument, I was going on instinct and what felt and seemed right to me.'

5. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Just like to say you have really helped me anyway! I'm in the market for my first proper bass (mine now doesnt count :meh: ) and I've definitely been leaning towards a Yamaha. I've looked into some of the other makes mentioned too, but the Yams seemed the better quality and had what I was looking for.

Great advice and you have inspired me to get up and go shopping!

Good luck with the playing, I'm teaching myself too, let me know how it goes! :)
  6. Those new BB Yamahas are really nice, the reissue P style basses. I would not call that a beginner bass, based off what I have read about them in bass player mag. They fetch around $350-400 clams, which I guess is about 250 pounds sterling. That orange is to die for. But I am needing that in a fretless.

Since you need a combo, I would go for an Essex or SX myself. If you want to really be cool, get the SX SJB62, whcih sell for $139 on this side of the pond. You will find that the narrow neck of a jazz bass is very comfy like an ibanez, only with a hell of a lot more style.
  7. nice pic, that's my baby! I just got a Yamaha BB 414 Metalic Orange, with a Fender Rumble 100 bass amp (Big Daddy). Cost a little more then what buddy wants to spend, but well worth it. Including a hard case, cable, strap, tunner, beginner book, and headphones; I spent just over $1000 Canadian. (The amp is 100 watts, and retailed for $450 alone!)
    Had to give props on the nice pic though!

Pipes on bass
  8. deathtrigga

May 11, 2005
    Thanks a lot for all ur help i will really look into the sx u are talkin about
  9. Check out the Brice Jazz style basses. You can pick one up for just a little over $200. They are really built a lot better than $200 basses usually are. Once you learn what kind of sound you want, you can always switch out the pups(pickups). You can get a set of Bartolini J/J pups for about $100. :ninja:
  10. I am seriously considering picking up that orange bass. I just need a fretless. SO it is either that of the SX P. But I hate lined fretless basses. And the only Yamaha BB fretless is active and comes in black and I have no clue if it has a pretty fingerboard or not.