1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Toting my Carvin BX250

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RonniePudding, Mar 4, 2013.

1. I read a number of threads where people carry their micro head in a laptop bag, but that won't work for this one since it's nearly 4" tall. I also found some padded bags by "World Tour" specifically for musical equipment, but they look cheesy and cheap.

I was looking at this as an option:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-Gadget-Black/dp/B0002Y5WZC/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

... which seems to be the right size with some room left over for cables and strings, -- but before I pull the trigger I thought I'd ask... what do other BX250 owners use to transport and protect theirs?

BTW, I don't want to spend more than $50.

Thanks.

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Sometimes you stumble across a perfect solution by looking at fields that have nothing to do with bass playing. When I bought my Crazy8 and Crazy88 cabs, I realized that their diminutive size and light weight made padded carrying bags ideal.

After looking at sports bags, camera bags, and other options, I found that the cajon bags made by Meinl fit my Crazy88 like they were made for each other; bought 'em on Amazon.

Don't know if they'll fit your cabs, but it couldn't hurt to take a look. :)

3. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I just throw it into my gym bag (which is my gig bag) on top of everything else, i.e. it's the last to go in.

4. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    I use the CB500 bag made for the BX500. Provides room for the amp and anything you might want to include. Headphones fit nicely. Cables go in the zipper compartment in the top. Works for me.

P1000534.

P1000537.

5. Thanks for posting the pics. Curious that Carvin doesn't make a dedicated bag for the BX250. :meh:

I was finding similar results when looking at the World Tour bags... they are not sized to keep a head with these unique dimensions from moving around.

The camera bag still ends up being cheaper by a few bucks and I think with the adjustable dividers I can hold the head in place within the bag...

6. Thanks Jazzdogg,

To be clear, I'm looking to carry a micro head, not a cabinet. But at your suggestion I did spend some time looking at drum cases this morning. Accessory cases for bass drum pedals came close, but no cigar.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking at cases intended for other (or general) applications, including
    1) waterproof plastic cases, e.g. Pelican -- expensive! ... but might be a worthwhile investment for a more high-end amp
    2) fishing rod travel luggage -- which I hoped could also fit my guitar stand, but are (as you'd expect) in general too long
    3) EMT medical equipment bags (again, pricey)
    4) and camera bags as I indicated earlier.

Within the music realm, there are also a number of specialized pedal board and mixer cases that come close, but end up being too big in one dimension or another for this particular application (10" W x 7.5" D x 3.75" H)... though there are so many out there that I'm sure I wasn't able to browse but a small sampling of them. That's where I was sort of hoping that someone would chime in with "Oh, yeah, this case fits the BX250 perfectly!"... :hyper:

Thus far I have not been able to find anything perfect within my budget. The camera bag I linked to is the closest I've come to a good compromise in terms of protection, utility, and price.

Part of me wishes I'd gotten a GK micro head, then I could just use an old laptop bag. ;)

7. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Have you looked at insulated lunch bags, or 6 pak carriers ? I have one that is slightly not wide enough for those dimensions, but they do make larger ones. They usually come with straps and an extra compartment.

8. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I ordered one of these... (I'm hoping it's deep enough @ 4" with the BX250 @3.7".... it may be tight but that's OK):http://www.rondomusic.com/product4932.html

there should be room for the BX250, cords, tuner and a supply of Altoids .... it should also be big enough for a BX500 if I buy up....

9. So I got the Seahorse SE-520 case this past week, and I just finished customizing the foam padding with an xacto knife. It's a good fit and just the right size for the BX250 with an inch+ of foam on each side of the head. It's VERY well protected in there. The one I ordered was for another application, so the foam was pre-cut in an un-useful way. If I had it to do over again I'd probably pay the extra $15 bucks or so to just order the standard model with the cubed "pick and pull" foam that doesn't require cutting to customize....

Attached Files:

10. Here's a pic of the case after an hour or so of cutting and fitting the foam. There's about an inch of foam on the bottom, and a similar amount of padding in the lid.

Attached Files: