1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Toto - Past to Present 1977-1990

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DWBass, Dec 20, 2005.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just picked up this cd. My experience is mainly based in R&B/Funk & Jazz and I'm not too familiar with Mike Porcaro's work. Was he really that good a bassist? Also, I heard a couple of cuts with some slap bass. Was that Mike? Most of what I've heard about him did not include slap bass. If that is him, he's a pretty decent slapper. By the way, the cd is killin'!!

Thoughts?!

B0000026VZ.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.

2. The playing on the earlier Toto albums is a guy named David Hungate. Who later went on to a successful playing/producing career in Nashville. I'm not sure when he left, but he was the one who did the slap stuff on "Rosanna". Porcaro replaced him but I don't know what year or album.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Thanks for the info.

4. Both excellent bassists with great tone.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    DW-
    IMO, Hungate was the man.
    "Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs is probably his best known figure. ;)

I'm assuming "Georgy Porgy" is on the album you picked up...IMO, Hungate's lines on that tune are very Verdine White-esque.
    Also, make sure you check out Hungate's melodicism on the outro to "99".

And-
    If you have Rit 2(the Lee Ritenour album with the Top-40 hit, "Is It You" w/ Abe Laboriel), re-visit the 1st track(IIRC), "Mr. Briefcase"...a very nice slap/pop groove by Hungate(at least my liner notes say it's Hungate!
    (Woodchuck always sez it's Louis Johnson).
    ;)

...and-
    That's Hungate playing "Home Cookin'" in the SITSOM book/cd set.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

*I'm late!

Yes Georgie Porgy is on this but there is another uptempo tune with more extensive slapping that I just didn't think it would be Porcaro. I'll come back with the title.

7. ryandude713

ryandude713

Aug 15, 2003
    california
    Did someone say Toto?