Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Touch Up on Satin Finished Neck...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rickreyn, Oct 21, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have a Lakland with maple satin finished neck. I have a little area where a bump took some of the satin finish off. Is there a way I can up touch the area? Thanks.

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    :eek:

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Don't worry JR. I hit the top of the guitar on the ceiling fan when I took it off in my room and it ever so slightly took off some of the finish. It's barely noticeable and I really don't need to do anything. I thought I get some advice on it though. I think satin polyurethane will do, but I am going to wait for a knowledgable person to tell me. I'd like to return it to its perfect state. This may have been the longest I've ever gone without a ding of some sort. It's still perfect otherwise. This is what happened with our brand new Honda Odyssey Van. On vacation one little rock fell off a mountain and landed on the hood, leaving a dent. Why me??

4. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    You know, this is weird. I too have a Lakland 55-94 with a ding on the maple fretboard and I think some parts of the finishing need a touch-up. I also own a Honda Odyssey MPV. There is a slight dent on the top because a small branch from a tree landed on it.

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Twighlight Zone theme.:D

6. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    rickeryn,
    You are most likely not going to get the defect to disappear.
    The procedure below works best for a clear satin finish like polyurethane.
    You could apply some CA glue (thick or medium would probably work best) with multiple thin applications until the spot looks about level. Don't use accelerator, or the glue could turn white. Take your time and make sure the glue dries between applications(5 min or so depending on thickness). Then lightly sand the area to level the glue to the surrounding finish. Use a hard block and start at about 400 grit paper. Go slowly, or you could sand too much and make the whole situation worse. To make the initial leveling a little less risky you could apply tape to either side of the flaw before you start sanding. Scotch tape, or blue masking tape work well. That way if you aren't holding the block level you won't dig into the surrounding finish. Once you get the finish close with the 400 grit and the tape move to 600 grit and level it right to the surrounding finish. Depending in the sheen of your satin finish you could continue to finer and finer grits until you get a match, as high as 2000 grit. You could also go to steel wool at this point. It's just a matter of how close you want to repair to blend with the surrounding finish sheenwise (is that a word?)
    Of course, if it's an oil finish, which I thought Lakland's were, you could just sand the defect out and apply more oil.
    Good Luck

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Thanks for the advice and techniques. I'll check with Lakland before I launch into this. Again, only I know its there, and the bass' value will not be impacted since it's already "used." If possible, I'd like to see if it can be done. I have a luthier friend that made a guitar for our main guy in our group. He might be free to do it. Thanks again.