1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Touch up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsbassist, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I have 2 little chips on my bass, and It would cost $1,500 to take all the paint off and repaint it. It there something else I can do?

2. $1,500?!?:eek: That doesn't sound right.:confused:

3. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    unless your completely useless at working w/ your hands, you can just diy.

i recently stripped and refinished in tung oil my spector six, and it came out beautifully (pics when she's all back together!) unless its a really high end instrument, or something your absolutely terrified of messing up, give it a go. you can always shell out the bucks for a pro refinish if you don't like the job you do, and you might like it so much it becomes a viable option with other basses/instruments.

i'm thinking of stripping and refinishing my mim jazz fretless now.....and replacing the preamp w/ a j retro, and....its addictive. but its a cool way to learn more about your instrument, and, i dunno, its kind of more intimate a relationship with something you've customized yourself. give it a go, there's a bunch of posts out there about this very notion.

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have used some enamel from a hobby shop before. Just lightly tap the chipped spot with a small brush until it is no longer noticeable. Then you'll be happy again and you've saved $1500. I did this with an all black bass, so be careful to match the paint.

Signed,

Martha Stewart

5. It shuoldnt cost more then $300 for a PROFESSIONAL job. Im talking top of the line.

6. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    A good luthier will be able to fill the chips and buff it out so you won't even notice.

If it is a gloss coat, that will be easier and more seemless.

7. My jaw literally fell open when I saw $1500! look at www.reranch.com. Seriously, a very good professional job should cost no more than $300. Whoever told you it would cost $1500 is talking out of their arse. $150 is more reasonable, maybe it was a typo?

8. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    forget the chips, they add character. Touch-ups will devalue it.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I agree. Chips just add character and they are almost always going to happen. IMHO I think it's best to just leave them.

-KB

10. Yes I'm so sorry it was $150. My is a white peavy. I was talking to my shope teacher about it, and he said to bring it in. So when they get done fixing my strap holder, and setting the neck I will bring it in and he said he has the stuff to tuch it up for free:D :D