Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Touch up

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsbassist, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I have 2 little chips on my bass, and It would cost $1,500 to take all the paint off and repaint it. It there something else I can do?

2. $1,500?!?:eek: That doesn't sound right.:confused:

3. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    unless your completely useless at working w/ your hands, you can just diy.

i recently stripped and refinished in tung oil my spector six, and it came out beautifully (pics when she's all back together!) unless its a really high end instrument, or something your absolutely terrified of messing up, give it a go. you can always shell out the bucks for a pro refinish if you don't like the job you do, and you might like it so much it becomes a viable option with other basses/instruments.

i'm thinking of stripping and refinishing my mim jazz fretless now.....and replacing the preamp w/ a j retro, and....its addictive. but its a cool way to learn more about your instrument, and, i dunno, its kind of more intimate a relationship with something you've customized yourself. give it a go, there's a bunch of posts out there about this very notion.

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have used some enamel from a hobby shop before. Just lightly tap the chipped spot with a small brush until it is no longer noticeable. Then you'll be happy again and you've saved $1500. I did this with an all black bass, so be careful to match the paint.

Signed,

Martha Stewart

5. It shuoldnt cost more then $300 for a PROFESSIONAL job. Im talking top of the line.

6. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    A good luthier will be able to fill the chips and buff it out so you won't even notice.

If it is a gloss coat, that will be easier and more seemless.

7. My jaw literally fell open when I saw $1500! look at www.reranch.com. Seriously, a very good professional job should cost no more than $300. Whoever told you it would cost $1500 is talking out of their arse. $150 is more reasonable, maybe it was a typo?

8. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    forget the chips, they add character. Touch-ups will devalue it.

9. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I agree. Chips just add character and they are almost always going to happen. IMHO I think it's best to just leave them.

-KB

10. Yes I'm so sorry it was $150. My is a white peavy. I was talking to my shope teacher about it, and he said to bring it in. So when they get done fixing my strap holder, and setting the neck I will bring it in and he said he has the stuff to tuch it up for free:D :D