Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

touched a bongo 1st time yesterday and.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    :eek:

:bawl: :bawl:

i liked it even more than i thought i would!!!!

it looks even better in person. i like the contours of the body, it's smaller than i thought it was, it's lighter than my sterling, feels as good as my sterling.... it gets a barky sound that i freeeeeeeeking love and can't do with the sterling, it hits lows that the sterling won't also. dear god - i NEED one of these. i've had gas before but this is now downright painful. i'm even considering selling my MM and becoming a one bass man. i'll start with this first.... for real this time....

beautiful warwick active corvette w wenge neck and hardshell warwick case - $700 + shipping.

somwhat beat up early 80s fender mustang w dimarzio p pickup & hardshell case - $200 + shipping.

gonna post it in the gear for sale section when i get home from work...

i even dreamed about the bongo last nite, that i was able to aford the parts to one, ala carvin, and was gonna build it myself. woke up obsessing on ways i could get the money. howz this - my birthday's february 16th - if ya'll wanted to start a secret collection w PMs and paypal, you could surprise me on my birthday - and talkbass could make internet history - get a story in BP magazine and everything.... i'd make sure they printed it as me and bill are old pals now after my last complaints :D . oh dear.....

can you taste my desperation here.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes, and it is beautiful.

(Joe ~ Bongo, Brendan ~ FBB)

3. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    LOL ! i'm dying to get one too. I just need to sell my spector US ! I was so impressed that i decide to sell the spector.I think it means something really...
    Which one have you tried? the 4 strings with two humbuckers?

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    So, did you soil your tighty whities?

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I mean no harm from this.

You just played one now? For how long have you ben Bongo this Bongo that.....

6. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    :confused: what do you mean?

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I got rid of some right nice basses myself in order to have the Dual Bongo Attack System.

I don't regret it nor do I miss them. I wish you nothing but luck on your mission, Joe Nerve.

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    In the USA tighty whities is slang for underwear.

9. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    Its a nice bass but I wouldnt dump my collection for one...especially at $1400 new.

I'm waiting for the fad to pass, like it always does...

10. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I wanted a 4-string. Then I played it at GC and the fit just wasn't there for me, my hands, my lap. But I do need a 5er in the arsenal, right? So now I am formulating a plan to get a Bongo 5 sometime soon. Anybody got my fave Egyptian Smoke? BassCentral's got that tasty desert gold but I think I'd be happier with the Smoke.

so that'd be, uhh, two fretted 4's, 1 acoustic fretted 4, one fretless 4, one fretted 7, yeah I need a 5 :) .... and a 12 :D

my girl's gonna kill me.

11. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    New series coming to CBS: Joe Nerve stars in Touched By a Bongo

:D

Hope you find a way to make it happen, Joe!

12. I'd say go for it...save it money. Hold back on tattoo's,Pink Cheetah Pants,and pink hair dye:p ;)

G'luck.

13. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    the Bongo basses are the kinda basses I'd love or hate, no inbetween (looks-wise, like a Ric.) The looks are growing on me, though:bassist:

14. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Be strong. My personal philosophy is to never sell an instrument. It was my parent's philosophy and thanks to that we have several vintage guitars in our family collection ('52 Gibson ES-175 and '66 ES-335 to name a couple).

Don't sell your basses if you like them. Swallow your GAS for the time being (what a visual). Since I work full time to support myself, my rule of thumb is to only pay for new instruments or gear with gig money. It keeps me out of trouble and keeps me playing. It also really gives me the feeling of earning a new bass.

Ok, well if you're gassing you CAN just put it on a credit card and pay it off with gig money.

Oh god what am I saying I need a bongo HELP

*edit* and if you really want to get rid of that 'stang PM me :p

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I played a desert gold dual humbucker 4 at GC last weekend. I'd love to give a report on this bass, but the setup was absolutely horrific. I pratically needed vice grips to play the thing because the action was so high.

Joe Nerve,

What store did you go to check them out and how was the setup? I totally want to check out a 4 & 5 string but I want it to be reasonably set up.

If you could name a couple stores that would be great. Thanks. :)

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I sure can. I am gassing for a Wal Mach III. 6... with some nice extras and upgrades... aahhh... :bawl: i can save up really well (i got a Corvette, after all) but it will take quite some years to get so much money together from my pocket money and university grants... even with summer jobs :bawl: an my parents told me no more basses till il live there...
    To make things worse, ii only got my Corvette last year, but i am gassing already! TB is bad to your wallet ;)

17. Thank god somebody has brains around here.

Ditto.

18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i checked one out at guitar center and it was the same deal. the neck wasn't set up so i asked them to do it. i have a suspicion they ship them with the necks totally loosened for some odd reason. this bass looked brand spankin new (not like the basses usually look in a GC), and the neck needed like 4 complete turns on the truss rod. it was ridiculously out. after that it played like a dream.

bill h - i'm a MM fan. i love every one of their basses i ever played, so much so i even dug the OLPs and almost bought one of those. i fell in love with these things long before they were released cuz i like odd looking basses, and i always loved the sabre for it's 2 humbuckers. throw into the package the variable eq and i was a gonner. there was little doubt i was going to love the bass. it exceeded my expectations.

and shri - yes, 4 string, dual humbucker. orange, with i'm not sure what you call it pickguard.

19. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    Oh...thanks ! i couldn't find the translation ! :)
    for the bongo, i also got used to the shape now and i find it much nicer. I really need this bass!!!

20. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Is it just me or is guitar center notoriously bad for setting up instruments. As in the usually just don't do it. I even see basses there with broken E strings.

I did however have a good experience at GC San Francisco where I bought my Fender J. Dave Beers is their bass guy there and he's very knowledgeable. He also sets up all the basses and fine tunes your bass for you whenever you want.