1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

touching plugged in pedals and getting a shock?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by UnDoNe, May 29, 2007.


  1. UnDoNe

    UnDoNe

    Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    I just set up my effects and turned on the power. The Boss TU-2 is the last thing in my signal and there wasn't a lead going from pedal to amp. When i touched it, i got a soft electric shock...like..a fuzzy feeling. Is this because the lead wasn't plugged in? Thanks
     
  2. fishtx

    fishtx

    Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    nope...you got other issues...I run tuners (TU-2, Strobostomp, etc..) on my board all the time with no cable plugged into the output.

    What kind of power source are you using?
     
  3. Foamy

    Foamy

    Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Sounds like a serious problem. Can you check it with a volt meter? Was it definitely an electrical shock? Sometimes a light friction rub may feel like a shock, but I guess you'd know if you were being shocked.
    Step one would be to use one of those 3-prong outlet checkers on EVERYTHING in your electrical chain. I NEVER NEVER EVER plug into any outlets without using one of those first.
    To many idiots out there doing wiring for me - I've found bad wiring in more than just a couple places.
     
  4. UnDoNe

    UnDoNe

    Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    I'm using a Diago Powerstation, which is pretty new and works perfectly everytime. I plugged in the lead from pedal to amp and turned my effects on and it was fine. No shock or anything.

    Maybe it was just a friction thing, but i touched it twice because it felt weird and still 'felt' it, so who knows.

    Thanks for the help so far
     
  5. Need more information to be sure, but it could be that you're just feeling the difference in ground potentials.

    Your amp is an earthed device (or at least, it SHOULD be earthed!) Your pedals are usually NOT earthed via the power supply - thanks to the transformer(s). When you connect a cable between your amp and your fx, the cable shorts the amp and pedal grounds together and they stay at the same potential (voltage should = 0). No problems...

    But, when there's no cable shorting the two together the pedals can "float" up to a high voltage with respect to ground. When you put yourself between this high voltage and ground, you become the leakage path for that voltage.

    Usually it is very low current, so it's not dangerous, but the high voltage is what you feel.

    Were you touching something else at the same time?
     
  6. Andy V.

    Andy V.

    Nov 5, 2006
    Rio
    Once I got a shock from my M-80 phantom powered.
    Never happened again, though.
     
  7. UnDoNe

    UnDoNe

    Dec 6, 2002
    UK

    This sounds very helpful thanks. To be honest, I can't recall if i was touchign anythign else. I don't THINK i was. As i say, it wasn't like a shock, just a warm fuzzy tingle. That sounds odd :smug:
     
  8. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

     
    Feb 28, 2021

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.