Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tough choices!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fleabass89, Apr 15, 2001.

1. I'm looking for some heavier strings for my P-bass. My current guage is 45-105 (Ernie Ball Slinky) and I like them. I narrowed my choices down to 3, and those are Ernie Ball Power Slinky, GHS heavy Bass boomers, and D'Addario heavy roundwounds. I've heard either very good or very bad things about GHS. What do you think? Should I stick with the Ernies or experiment? If so, what should i get? Thanks alot.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you like the Ernie's, they're probably a safe choice. Based on what I've read here, I'd try D'Addario before I went with boomers. I used to use Boomers in the '80's, mostly because they're not very expensive, but they seem to have gotten a lot of bad press lately. I've seen lots of good comments on D'Addarios here, both the XL's and Slowwounds. I just played a sunrise service this morning with EB Hybrid Slinkys and got favorable comments on the bass sound.