1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tough Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bongolation, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    My poor old cat who has been my sole companion for sixteen years was put down this evening. I buried her in a deep grave in my back yard.

It was hard. She was very frail, very ill with cancer and kidney failure and some other lesser stuff. I've been keeping her alive by extreme efforts since around the end of October. I had been preparing for this for a long time, so today I gave her a heavy enough dose of Valium so she'd be peacefully unconscious when she left here to the vet, but when the time came, she was almost unfazed. My cousin then gave her enough heavy liquid narcotics to do in a cat three times her size, but she showed almost no effect. My cousin then took her over to the nearby Banfield where their vet office cheated me out of an additional $30 after giving me a firm quote not once but two separate times. So, for all my weeks of tearfully planning and worrying, this did not go well.

My cousin brought her back and helped me bury her under the guava tree out back. I had dug her grave a couple of weeks ago. She was buried in an antique box, wrapped in a new red shemagh.

At the moment I'm running on Valium and exhaustion, cleaning up all the cat-related stuff around the house and trying not to think about this.

It's been a very bad day.

2. Man, I feel for you. Hope it gets better for you.

3. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

Dec 20, 2011
    Fairborn, OH
    You have my condolences. 16 years is a long time. Most marriages don't last that long. I dread the day when I have to say goodbye to one of my cats. Sorry for your loss.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sorry to hear this. It's hard losing a close friend after all that time.

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So sorry to hear about your friend. I have an elder kitteh in my home of about the same age, I can relate.

Be well, my condolences.

6. Very sorry for your loss. Condolences from one cat lover to another.

7. DanAleks

DanAleks Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    My condolences for your loss.
    They bring so much into our lives.

8. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Sorry to hear that. Just last night my wife found some old puppy photos of the best dog we ever had. He passed at 15 about 3 years ago. My kids were about 7 and 3 when he died. They still talk about him and miss him. He was so awesome with kids even before we had any. The neighborhood kids loved him and he got along with all of them. When we finally had kids he was extremely vigilant and protective of them. Damn I miss that dog. He used to love riding in my pickup between my wife and me on the front seat...wish I could have him back. There will never be another like him...sorry about your loss, man...this is a pic of my oldest when he was 2 or 3 and the pooch...we truly lost a member of the family. You can see the bond between my son and Bax in that pic...

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364301416.731798.

9. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    Take solace in the fact that you gave her the dream cat life for so long. You're a good soul. That is not a common thing.

10. It's a hard thing to do, but it's the last act of kindness you can give a pet.

Once you have mourned, take a wander down to a local shelter. It'll help fill that pet shaped gap in your life and help a pet who has been given a rough deal.

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Sincere condolences. I had to have my beloved Yellow Lab put down about 9 years ago (brain tumor). Even though I have another dog, I can still get a bit misty-eyed when I think about holding her and talking to her as she was going to sleep for the final time. Pets can be more enjoyable than a lot of people...

12. AaronMB

AaronMB

Aug 17, 2012
    Central Oregon
    I feel ya, man. I went through about the same thing a while back with an awesome cat who made it 16 years (kidney failure as well).

Mohawk has is right. I've recently rescued a young cat after perusing the shelters waiting to find the one. I have; feels good to have that bond again.

13. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    My prayers go out to you, there is nothing like losing a pet that means the world to one.

14. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Our animals give us the greatest gift with their unconditional love. Unfortunately, we must always say goodbye to our animals.

The pain will pass, and good memories will remain.

Deepest condolences.

15. bjabass

bjabass

Jan 10, 2011
    Mountain South
    Yes as soon as you can deal with it get a shelter cat out of jail. Good for you, good for the cat.

I am going on over a dozen dogs and cats who have shared my life and my family. They all have a special place in my yard and my memory.

Condolences from Kenyan (the dog) M, (that's right, just M...the cat) and from me.

16. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Bro , you need to go get a new kitten right now, the feeling of loss will linger over time and visit you in your dreams .
    Getting a new one will help the process a lot , in my experience.
    good luck

17. Personally I don't think the "replacement pet" isn't such a great option. My family passed on it after the dog dropped on the kitchen floor (we didn't want the potential of trying to mold another animal into a " copy" of ____________[insert name here] )and HEY! Look at me!

[EDIT] in hindsight I was a bit too ..... Dramatic. My dog passed on my 18th birthday. I had him for 13 years. Just remembering his name brings back the painful memories.

What you are doing/have done is a much more honorable thing than my family did. We let him live out his life because we didn't want to share the pain in putting him down. When/how it's happened has probably messed me up the most; but my bond to dogs has never left me, even with my older brothers puppy.

Life can be a real **** sometimes. Sorry.

18. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    So sorry.

Almost a year ago, we had to put down one of our cats that we'd had for over 16 years. I still expect to see her at our house. :(

19. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Sorry about your loss bro.

20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

A tough day, but it gets better. Hang in there!