Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tough Decision...Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ok, so I'm not sure which direction to go. I was able to find a buyer for my fretless 6, but it did sell for far less than I had originally hoped. This means I can't place an order for what I really want-an Elrick e-volution singlecut fretless 5 or fretted 6. Soooo...I'm looking at the used market, where everyone's taking a beating right now. I only know of two fretless 5 Elrick singlecuts, and neither of those guys will be selliing theirs anytime soon it seems. So I'm looking at other options.

Tell me what you think of the options I've laid out (they are all around the same price):
    1. Used Elrick Classic singlecut fretted 5: Slight bit of wear, and not the e-volution body style I prefer, but the closest to what I'd like. It has a macassar ebony board, so it has a good board to have defretted. Only problem is that I would be investing a lot in a bass whose quality is going to be in the hands of repairman. I'm not the kind who can afford to keep two basses so similar, so I would definitely not keep it fretted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    3. New rig-QSC PLX 1602 power amp, BBE Bmax pre, and extra money for bass: The pre and power add up to $800 new, which would leave about $1100-1200 open for a bass, where I could hope to find a used fretless Zon fiver or a Pentabuzz. My current head is in bad shape-it can't be moved in most ways without risking breaking all the way-but it plays fine where it is in my music room. I also know that I won't be playing out or in a band situation for some time, as I take care of my 11-month old daughter at home 24-7 and I don't drive, so there's no rush on needing a head anytime even remotely soon. Still, if I could fine a great fretless in this price range, this would be getting a lot of stuff for my money.

So what do you guys think? Other opinions are welcome as well. I have a little bit of time to decide, as the fretless I sold is still at Jon Hill's shop having the fingerboard refinished, and I'd rather not spend the money before the buyer has the bass in his hands.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Roscoe. It's the answer to the question you didn't know you were asking.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    This really is a tough question.

If you say your amp is in bad condition, then I'd get that pre/power setup first and save up for the bass you really want.

If you are sure you're not gonna need that amp for a time now ( :eyebrow: remember, even the best bass sounds bad through a bad amp, while a good amp can make even a cheap bass sound good), then if i were you then I'd go for the bass I really want and save up for it. If you do not buy what you want, but still have some wanting, then it may work itself into your subconsciousness and make you an addict, buying one e-volution after the another after you sold the bass you now bought, spending even more money that way ;)
    J/k.
    But really, go for what you really want (well, of course, within a rational limit - that is, as your finances allow) and you'll have no buyers remorse (hopefully)

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey Josh,
    My profile is up-to-date-the 15" combo is just my spare amp. My main one is a Carvin R1000 plugged into an Avatar 4x10. They sound great, it's just that the head isn't really road-travel friendly in its condition.

And I've thought of saving up to have the bass I want built, but that's another $1300 or more, and as I'm a stay-at-home pop, I might not be able to make that for a very long time (I normally make my income selling paintings, but I haven't had the time to paint new ones, and have had little time to get the ones I have shown in galleries). Holding tight to the dough is an option, although as I said, I've only heard of two Elrick singlecut lined fretlesses, and the owners ain't letting them go.

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I have a minty fresh Sonus 5, if youre intereted let me know.

8. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Bryan,
    I love Elricks and Roscoes. They both have totally different sounds and play very different (Roscoe 11/16" string spacing; Elrick 3/4"). The SKB 3006 that you have pictured is a bass that I owned for 4 weeks and it has a killer sound and plays great. I had it just long enough to determine that I just didn't need a 6 string. Switching back and forth from 5 to 6 just wan't comfortable to me and the extra fatigue on my left hand just spelled trouble down the road. If it's a 6 string you're after though, the box elder burl Roscoe is a sweet bass and it would give you some great sounds that you just can't get from your Elrick. Andrew's Roscoe looks like a great bass too. Both have the Demeter pre but the box elder burl Roscoe has Roscoe's version of the Demeter which is tuned specifically for a Roscoe (has better control of the mids IMO). If your Elrick sounds similar to my Elrick 5 string, then it has a nice pronouced emphasis in the mids. IMO the Roscoe with the 3-band Bart has better phat mid sounds than the Roscoe with the Demeter. The Roscoe with the Demeter is much warmer and natural sounding. IMO it would be a great complement to your Elrick! If you've never owned a Roscoe, you really need to! Awesome basses! :smug:

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

11/16" spacing on the Roscoe and 3/4 (which is 12/16") on the Elrick...doesn't sound TOO different ;) :D Are the mids stacked on a knob on the box elder Roscoe, the way they normally are with the Bart 3-band? I ask as emjazz's has an additonal knob.

10. I would suggest the Roscoe, or the rig upgrade.

I got a PLX about a month ago, and man it's neat. But now all I need is a good cab and new tubes for my SVP.

11. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Bryan,
    1/16" additional spacing doesn't sound like much but you'd be surprised how much cleaner you can slap/pop on a bass with 3/4" string spacing. On the plus side though, you can adjust the string spacing to 3/4" between the C, G, D, & A on the Roscoe. The distance between the A, E & B would have to be slightly less though.
    The Roscoe Bart 3-band actually stacks the bass/treble controls. The mid is on a push/pull pot to allow changing the center freq. On that particular box elder 3006 Roscoe, which has the Demeter pre tuned for a Roscoe, the bass/treble are stacked and the mid is on a std. 100K pot. The mid center freq. is changed via a DPDT sw. On a std. Demeter pre, James doesn't recommend using a 50K concentric for bass/treble. He recommends using the 50K concentric for the mid/treble and leaving the bass on the 100K stock pot (std. pot values for the Demeter is 100K; James claims the original design intent of the pre is les compromised). Adam (at Demeter) actually tuned the Demeter pre for a Roscoe per James' recommendations. Adam is a bass player and stated that they kept tweaking the pre until they got the sound that they wanted (primarily better control of the mids).

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Bump. Any last thoughts? I found what should be a very nice fretless I can fit into my new amp/new bass budget, but I've also been thinking about the Elrick more, as I know how comfortable they are for me. Wish I could just make up my mind :meh:

13. You already have an Erlick. You could really use a better amp and possibly that fretless.

Versatility, and new ampage.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you noticed in my first post, the point of getting the Elrick would be to have it defretted, so I'd have that versatility.

Although I agree that I need the new ampage, which I couldn't get if I go with the Elrick.

15. stamman5

stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Boston
    Is it too late to say go for the Roscoe? :bag:

But between those two (amp and fretless vs. Elrick) I would say go for the amp and fretless. IMO it would be nice to have something different. Good luck