1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tough Decision....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Exxcell, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Alright, so I bought a Peavey Millennium BXP-5 a couple of weeks ago for a beater bass (which for the price is remarkable.)

And I just got my new D'Addario Nickel Wound, Med. Gauge (.50-.135) set in today and I'm all set up to restring, tweak, ect...

But... Should I go through body or bridge? I can't make up my mind.

What are the pros and cons of doing both?

2. Mickey Mao

Mickey Mao

Jun 7, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Personally, the only reason I would go through the body is if the length of the winding---from the ball to the start of the silk---were so long that the winding goes all the way to the tuner on the low string(s), and I wanted to use up that extra length.

I believe there is no sonic difference between through-body and through-bridge, and it's just simpler to string through the bridge. And it also avoids the weird angle when the string breaks over the saddle.

3. Rounder

Rounder

Apr 16, 2012
    Costal Maine
    I've heard that that break over the saddle will greatly affect the tone and that's the reason why they go through the body for a more pronounced angle. All my basses have thru the bridge so I can't comment and if I did I wouldn't know if it was cuz it was thru the body or some other reason for difference in tone. I take it you have an option from the start, ie, you won't have to drill the holes and get the inserts, and that the bridge is thru the bridge but will work either way...

Regards, Rounder

4. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc

Dec 13, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I've got a BXP-5, and I strung it thru-body. Why? Well truthfully it was because if I didn't, a couple or three of the thru-body-stringing-ferrules would have fallen out and I didn't want to deal with that. :) I've also heard that tone changes depending on which way you string it, but I've never compared, and I like what I'm getting out of it the way it is now.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The only change Ive found in string thru body compared to string thru bridge is slight feeling of extra tension for thru body. No sound difference as long as its a good high mass bridge. Sometimes string thru body isnt doable properly depending on where the winding starts of string for headstock end.

6. the Arsonaut

the Arsonaut

Aug 27, 2012
    String thru primarily adds Sustain to your strings.

I just modded a pbass with this...plucking open strings,
    went from 7.5-8.5 seconds to over 11seconds.

It can change your timbre a bit...but it's not really going to affect your almighty tone...it's still a string vibrating over a pickup at a certain frequency.

7. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    I guess it depends on if you play a lot of whole notes, or if you play mostly quarter/eighth notes and above. Sustain is cool, but how often does your style need a lot of sustain?