1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Toughest age to recruite a band member ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by b to g is yummy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. My band's in our high teens-low twenties. We're looking for a singer of similar age. So far it's mostly people in mid 20's and (way) up who've showed intrest in joining. I'm sure there are a lot of variables such as location and genre, but I'm thinking maybe this is one of the toughest ages because of college and university?? What do you people think??

2. If they're cool, then don't sweat it (easier said than done right?) i think mid 20's shouldn't be a problem....as long as you guys dont look like you should be in 10th grade and he's shaving his chest every week or something lol

3. a big +10

life plans and goals make things difficult. Especially in the long term when people move farther and farther away to advance their education.

4. Ruoska

Ruoska

Nov 9, 2006
    Finland
    Yeah I think it's more about looking and talking the same. An age difference of 5 years is nothing if you're all on the same mental level. It's like, if some of you are talking about "man how drunk was I last weekend" and all the stupid stuff they did and can you loan me a few $ for a pack of cigarettes and calling mom for help with rent, and then some other people in the band are talking about mortgage, having to pick up their wife from yoga and who they're gonna vote for and why...generally you know someone's gonna feel out of place even if everyone's the same age.

Lucky me, everyone in my band is (incl. previous members) were born in 1982 except for me..I was a few weeks early and was born in December 1981. So atleast it's not like some of us watched He-Man and some watched Power Rangers u know ;-)

5. I love Thunder Cats!!!

6. indeed, I'm in college, and one of the more popular bands around here are apparently so intriguing to everybody because they are all so young (in college). Until the summer and breaks we have a fairly slow practice schedule, and the singer lives 2 hours away, but the core songwriting happens first with the guitar/bass/drums, then singing as added and things are changed here and there. I woulda thought that this would be when everybody wanted to start playing and getting popular. Hey, imo, taking your time on things can only make it better, so while slow, hopefully the work is all quality. It's also funny seeing so many old (relatively) dudes mixed in with the occasional young guy. Hopefully this will add to our success.

That's my experience, being that age and in college and trying to maintain a band. Luckily we all found out about each other musical prowess because we're all best friends first and foremost. Our dorms are close, and we hang out almost every day. Makes making music so much better.

7. well....and I say this lightly, because I know this sucks from experience....I'd get older....and probably finish up/kick school if your serious on it before getting stuff accomplished. write music, maybe have some jams and play it here and there, but as far as I'm concerned, when i was in a band with a bunch of guys that were mostly on full-time college schedules (myself included), all you could really do well without stressing was play stuff you already wrote, and make sure that sounds great. cherish weekends, cherish holidays, definitely cherish the summer....that's time you have to sit and be creative. overall tho, do what you want; you can probably pull a full time school/part time work schedule and write music, but i think it'll be rough.

8. i'd stick with someone who feels right, who wants to move, musically, the same rate as you. who wants to reherse x amount. chill x amount. and tour x. amount.

i look at my band.

1. recording engineer.
    2. wendy's employee
    3. pizza boy
    4. blockbuster employee
    5. bar bouncer
    6. business analyst

who's the youngest? (4)
    who's the oldest? (5)
    who wants to always practice? (6... and 2)
    who always whines about rehearsing? (1)
    who's does the most 'band work'? (6)
    who consistently brings in paychecks? (1, 3, 6)
    who will drive the van when no one else wants to? (1, 2, 5)
    who lines up the ladies? (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
    who's really career oriented? (1, 6)

(for the record, if you like stereotypes 1 = Drummer, 2 & 4 = Guitarists, 3 & 5 = vocalist, and 6 = bassist)

you can have a mix of people. and still have a fantastically productive band. so. age isn't really a concern imo. especially at that age. if you're in a college town. find some locals. the miscreants who are about 20 who still live at home, work **** jobs, and spend their money on equipment and booze. those are the people, if they're into music, are fantastic people to work with, in general. the time commitments, the restraints tend to be looser, and they like to be involved in something they like (when life tends to bore them).

if you can play and go to school (i couldn't, i took a semester off (okay, i lied, i really just didnt' go to class for three weeks)), good for you. if you expect to do serious touring, school has to be second. unless they're simulcasted online. then you do as i do (when i tour, and work at the same time), invest in a blackberry phone, use it as a modem on your computer and wherever you go, you have the internets for working.

9. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    OK.... :meh:

10. lol

11. Our band varies in age from 22 (me) to 31 (vocalist). We get on well and work well together. Probably because they all think they're still my age. :p

12. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I don't see age as a big limit. If the difference is big, like 10-20 years, the social side of the band might suffer a little and it might be difficult to find rehearsal dates etc. If I was in your position, I wouldn't hesitate to get a singer slightly older than you (25-30), if they as you say are interested. They often have more experience and are most likely better singers than younger ones. Go for it. :)

13. thanks for the advice and comments so far guys, keep it coming. So far our most hopeful candidate is 24. Currently we range in age from 18-22. Maybe 24 just sounds old to me...

14. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    My singer is 25. She seems like a child.

15. lol..you are so encouraging!

16. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    "Toughest age to recruite a band member"

The truth is you have yet to hit it, it's that post college oh $h!+ I gotta go get a real job and pay back those loans married with children 30 somethings. Bands/musicians are everywhere when your young. As several have pointed out lots of free time, spending money and BIG ideas abound. The dynamic has changed too, now so many young musicians feel they can "make it" because technology changed how music is sold, self producing and recording, websites, Myspace, cable/satellite TV etc: As an aside it has spawned a whole generation that ONLY believe in writing and performing ALL of their own material and look down on anyone who dosn't it was never that way before now ... BUT what has not changed is the crunch factor/reality check of well we didn't make it big by 25 and it's time to get on with life.

Yes it is the 25 to 39 range where it is the toughest ...

By 40 if your feeling somewhat more secure in your life or your past that 1st marriage, then you start trying to re-capture some of that lost youth. :rollno: oh and carting around that SVT fridge and sleeping in the van, seems less of an option. By then your gonna start seeing others like you come out and want to play again.

:meh: ... But guess what, by then "gasp" :eek: playing covers in bars is not gonna seem like such a bad option.

17. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    +1 what kenny said!!

I was in bands all through college/uni, just having fun. Finding people was really easy. Then I had to move for work (I was about 25), and I was dumped in a series of towns all over the country - finding bands was tough, and I didn't really have the time or contacts.

I also noted the change from "lets get out and play" to "lets make it", which I wasn't really interested in any more.

I'm now late 30's and gigging regularly again - covers in bars. Getting paid way more than we used to!

If you're having problems finding band members in your early 20's you need to re-asses. It can be tricky keeping a line-up as members come and go to college and stuff, but there are plenty around. If you're 22 (early 20's) and rejecting people because they're 24 (mid 20's) then it's hardly supprising your finding it difficult... Wow they're like in the year above in high school!!!
    Ian

18. I'm 34 and the guys I play with are in their 50's one of them turns 60 this year. It is way more important that your musical and personal interests and goals match up than it is that you fit all fit into some age bracket.

When I was in college my band mates and I were all within a few years of each other age-wise, but we had a lot of trouble because we had different goals personally and for the band.

19. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    +1000

I've just entered 40 and while I have been dedicating time, effort and (hard earned) money to music, I can see that most people around my age have their priorities set different than mine. I still devote long hours to my work, I spend time with my friends and my relationship (long term is what I aim for), I try to live life to the fullest. Yet I devote time to play music (very diverse styles), playing in different groups (my music tastes cannot be catered by a single group), rehearsing on a regular base and recording when the chosen people can. I need to add that I have not relied on anybody's money ; neither for living nor for buying equipment and that gives me self-gratification and dignity

20. sublime0bass

sublime0bass

Aug 2, 2007
    Boone, NC
    I'm 22 and I shave my chest :(