Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Toughest Bass Line !!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by x15, Apr 2, 2003.

1. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    hey which songs do you think are extremely hard to play !
    hardcore bassing hard. i'm thinking around the lines of -sweet child of mine by the guns and roses, and then they're some more!

:bassist:

2. I don't see how this is related to tablature...

* kick * over to misc. :)

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Chromatic Fantasy. Ask WR :D

4. G&R? You gotta be kidding man! Try learning "What Is Hip?" by Tower of Power, "Spain" by Return to Forever, or anything with James Jamerson on it, or perhaps some James Brown.......

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    One of the greatest latin Jazz tunes of all time.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The toughest bassline is the one you can't play yet.

It's smart to look ahead to the toughest thing anyone can play, but the bottom line is you gotta live through the week if you want to be alive next year (that was a metaphor)

If Duff McKagan basslines are what you find chalenging, great.

7. It's got to be Smells like Teen Spirit !

It's so hard !!!

:D :rolleyes:

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

To me it has been "Some Skunk Funk" by the Brecker Brothers.
    A damn challenge, but it's such a great tune.

9. It's not the most difficult stuff, but some of Robert DeLeo's lines are especially challanging. Fun once you get to learn them, a very good rock bassist.

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Man, I'm still working on my Sid Vicious licks :bassist:

Seriously, Les Claypool stuff for me. Especially because I play a 4 string, can't get quite get the hang of a 5, and don't own a 6.

11. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    erm, does victor wootens classical thump count as a bassline? nah thats a basssolo, erm bassline..

Cowboys from hell by pantera has some quite hard fast licks, check that out.

12. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Good Call, Cowboys From Hell is challenging, as is Cult of Personality by Living Colour

13. No contest. It's definately StrongMad's bassline on "The Dragon Comes in the Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!

Dow, dow, dow dow dow dow, dow dow dow, dow!!!

14. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Anyone ever try any glassjaw songs, fast and really rythmic.
    It took me some time to get DmV by primus down.
    Some Mudvayne is pretty hard, just to get the hang of.
    Ska and some Street Punk(not bubble gum crap) patterns ok, but at speed takes a bit of time.
    I think almond brothers sometimes are a bit difficult.
    its all do able just takes time, patients and practice, kick me if I sound dumb or novice! but yeah I've only been playing for 3 years, so I guess I'm alright, you guys on here are like big inspiration to expand and become a pro, thaks TB members!!!!

15. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    :eek: Do you mean Allman Brothers?

The hardest song that I can replicate perfectly is Schism by Tool. Double hammer-ons, anyone?

The hardest thing that I can pull off on bass (but that doesn't technically exist on a record) is my cover of Tool's cover (I don't know if I made this clear, but I'm kind of a Tool fan) of Led Zep's No Quarter, upon which I play leads, chords, and bass at the same time. On a four-string, no less.

While this is not Olympic-level stuff, I'm still proud. Playing 96th notes may be really hard, but it's not something I want to listen to. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having crazy chops, but I don't see "virtuoso" in my future.

16. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    You should check out some rush. High quality hammer ons there. also i would suggest learning YYZ by Rush. That song was such a pain in the ass to get down...

17. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    original
    Do you mean Allman Brothers?

xxx

yeah im sorry, dont always think when i type, man i sound more like a dumb ass the more i type,
    Tool is great, Schism is definitally fun to play

18. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    "Kiss" by Prince...

19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    probably "Manos de Piedra" by Jeff Berlin

for me anyways :D