1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tour advice - cheap hotels and instrument insurance!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ice77ice, Jan 2, 2007.

1. ice77ice

ice77ice

Jan 2, 2007
    howdy all!

i'm the bassist and tour manager for my band and wanted to pass along some great tips that have made life on the road much more tolerable.

first of all - instrument insurance!! get it!! we use www.musicproinsurance.com. rates are $1 per $100 of equipment, and they cover literally any type of loss, with only $100 deductible per incident. we've filed several claims with them in the past few years, and they process everything quickly.

secondly, hotels. these can eat away your tour profits in a hurry, but who wants to break their break sleeping on friends' nasty floors or couches?? i've got an awesome system and hookup for getting cheap hotels (how's $25 for 2 rooms in a night sound??). limited date/location availability, but send me an email or PM with your tour schedule and i'll see if i can help you out.

take care everybody, and keep thumpin'!!

-janis

that's me with vic!
    vic.

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    That's cool stuff. Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Nice photo.

3. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    When in a new area, we would gig swap. And that sometimes included a place to stay. We would always offer up our places to out of town bands, so that they could return the favor down the road.

Of course, that was when I was 21. Now, I don't really want stinky musicians hanging around my wife and house. ;)

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i'll have to check out that insurance company. sounds like a decent deal.

5. got any for the uk?
    thankfully ive been lucky on tour with equipment and that, in terms of places to stay we camp up and leave the gear in the bus next to us...tents, what fun!

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Wouldn't work for me- I sleep like a dead thing. If someone were to kype my gear while I was asleep in a tent next to the van, all they'd have to do would be to smash out the windows, or come in the tent and root around for the key. I probably wouldn't wake up until morning. My alarm barely gets me up in the morning, and I've been known to sleep through everything short of a nuclear blast!

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I have some tour advice too!

1) Vans: if you're going with a 15 passenger van, get a Chevy. I'm a japanese car kind of guy and normally don't have a domestic manufacturer preference, but the big Chevy is MILES easier to drive and more comfortable than the 15 passenger Ford. The Chevy's wheelbase is extended on the 15 passenger van whereas they just kind of extend the back end of the van in the Ford, making it REALLY squirrely to drive. The Ford we had was better for towing our gigantic trailer, but the newer Chevy's have a 6.1 motor that should be much better.

2) If you have a trailer, you need the following things: A puck lock on every door, a lockable bolt holding your hitch to the receiver, a good brake controller, a VERY good lock holding the trailer to your hitch, and a Trailer Keeper. If you're not going to unload all your gear at night (and you won't, trust me) make sure you back the trailer against a light post so you can't open the door even if they got it open.

Next time I go on tour, though, it's going to be with a much smaller band, so everything should fit in a van. We're going to get a 15 passenger van and build a metal cage in the back so that even if you broke the windows you can't take anything, and have a pretty serious alarm system with pager installed, or lojack. I suppose that doesn't prevent anyone from taking the van away with a flatbed, but it deters smash-and-grabbers.

3) Food management: Get coolers and stop at grocery stores for food as much as possible. If the venue provides food, DON'T PIG OUT. I put on nearly 15 pounds eating as much free food as possible. It won't make you any less hungry the next day, just more fat.

4) Join as many hotel rewards programs as possible, and also get a rewards card for gas.