Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tour Case

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cabooke, Sep 10, 2002.

1. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Hello all. I'm going to be going on the road soon, and I am wondering the best way to get my bass where it needs to be going. There will be a few airline flights also. Can a bass be used as a carry on? Is an SKB case strong enough, or do I need a road case? Any insight would be great. Thanks much.

2. Don't count on carrying your bass aboard the plane. BUy an ATA flight case of high quality--Anvil style. Don't mess around with anything flimsy or the like because you'll end up buying another case when it gets destroyed. You'll probably have to spend $300-$500, but it is worth it to protect and expensive bass. Also, don't delay because many companies need several weeks to get the case completed. An SKB case might suffice if you're willing to risk your bass or are doing a small van tour where you personally handle the case all the time. Since you're flying, get the good stuff.
    Also, since you're in LA, check out the many local case manufacturers and you can save yourself shipping.