Tour

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Apr 26, 2019.

Tags:
  1. If you want to see something cool, on youtube, just write in Tour of the Epiphone Factory. I t made me not fear Epiphone.Let me know what you think.

2. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    I’m not sure why anyone would fear Epiphone or Squier. its 2019 and both Epiphone and Squier have been making guitars and basses that rival, and in some cases exceed, the quality of Mexican and even American made Gibsons and Fenders for several years now. Their quality has gone up quite a bit the last 5 years or so, while the quality of the MIM and MIA guitars has gone down IMO.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    jd56hawk and MattZilla like this.
  3. I made this from parts people gave me , and I told my wife I could make a complete p bass out of all these parts, the neck had know name on it but I think maybe a Squire and somebody sanded of the name on it, I painted the head stock and the put polyurethane over it. Probably the body is an old Squire. The bridge I don't know were it come from are what it came off from, some how it was in my junk drawer. I had the pick guard , a friend a long time a go gave me 3 of them. All the money I have in it a can of paint, and some sucky EMG Geezer pickups which soon get change. I might try Stewmac pickups. Are Fender pickups they are not very high. But it plays great and the neck feels good. 55491806_258558215096429_1105848177711382528_o.jpg

Attached Files:

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Comparing a Squier to an American Fender is nonsense. I’m sure Squiers are nice basses for the money, but you get what you pay for.

Garret Graves, MattZilla and mdogs like this.
  5. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    True.
    Also true... at either end of getting what you pay for, there can be surprises. ;)

ed morgan and JRA like this.
  6. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    No, it’s that way of thinking that’s nonsense. A good Squier and $300 worth of upgrades and you have an American Fender for 1/5th the price. You can even put a Fender neck on it if you want to have that warm and fuzzy feeling seeing Fender on your headstock. You think the CNC machines in Fullerton have some kind of magic fairy dust in it the same machine in Indonesia or China doesn’t have? You are paying a massive premium for the name on the headstock.

7. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

The machines in Fullerton probably have regular dust on them. Fenders have been made in Corona since the eighties.

8. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    The only thing I fear is people who tell other people to search for a video instead of just c/ping the link in their post:

elgecko, B-Mac, jd56hawk and 2 others like this.
  9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I, and my unreasonably good $50 2017 Squier P Bass, approve this message. ;)
    No upgrades or add-ons needed in my case, though.
    Mine is solid, very playable, tuneful, and very, very red. :D

ed morgan likes this.
  10. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    CNC machines in factories with a prerogative for higher production quantity run high-as-possible feeds which leads to endmill deflection (imperfect cuts).

At 5x the street price, Fullerton can afford to be choosier in the sticks they keep to season than more cost-conscious factories, season their sticks longer than more cost-conscious facilities, and more to your point: run the machines slower so as to hold tighter tolerances, minimize machine component wear as well as be quicker about replacing wear items in the machines that affect their ability to hold tolerances at all. There are plenty of articles and threads on all of the electric string instrument sites and forums that deal with the benefit of a well-mated neck joint.

What makes MIA Fenders have a lower likelihood of mediocrity than lesser FMIC makes is more than just the machines, but it is those machines and the CAM programming running those magic fairy machines too.

Fortunately for Fenderheads, unlike Henry J, FMIC learned from Toyota about the importance of taking care to build well.

That said, I'm perfectly happy with a Squier if it balances right and is painted Oly White and would LOVE a proper non-L EB-3 made by Epiphone if it were painted Antique White or an appropriately ambered Pelham Blue.

11. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Bottom line is that American Fenders are still mass produced, cookie cutter instruments coming off a production line. Only difference is it’s location and it being located in the US doesn’t make it inherently better than one in Mexico or China. Yes,they use better quality woods and components but everything except the wood can be upgraded on a Squier and you have the same guitar for MUCH less money. The American Fenders can be hit or miss too, although there are many more hits than misses. If I were going to spend $2k on a bass, it would be Custom and not a mass produced one.

Roxbororob likes this.
  12. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    You contradict yourself beautifully.

If you were going to spend $2k on a bass, it would not be custom unless you live in 1995 where $2k has that kind of buying power or you're buying from this year's Darrin Huff.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    Microbass and Templar like this.
  13. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Not really, but I can break it down for you as you seem to be confused. A CNC machine works the same in California as it does in Indonesia or China. It’s not like the Fenders made in the US are being handmade, outside of the custom shop of course. They do use higher quality woods and components in the US but as I already said, Squiers can be upgraded to everything a US model Fender has. You can get defects in $2k American Fenders just like you can $300 Squiers but they are fewer.

14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I'd worry about buying a new Gibson before I'd worry about buying a new Epiphone.
    As a matter of fact, I recently passed on a new 2017 Gibson Thunderbird, even at a bargain price.

Bass V and MattZilla like this.
  15. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    you're sorta right in that the Z axis is the Z axis and 0.013" is 0.013" no matter where you are geographically, but your implication is just plain wrong. I'm not going to quote or repeat myself. Google "endmill deflection" and "feeds and speeds".

handmade wouldn't guarantee anything except that it would take longer.

Let me break it down for you
    Best wishes, Turbo

16. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I put a set of used ($25) MEC actives with passive V V T controls in my 98' MIK Squier Jazz. Suffice to say that i don't covet an MIA Fender.

17. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

You're wasting your breath, logic and reason rolls off like water on a duck sometimes, eh?

An acquaintance of mine insists that a steak at Sizzler is no different that a steak at Morton's, apart from the service and fancy garnishments. It's comical to hear him prattle on about it.

MattZilla likes this.
  18. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    And it’s a waste of time trying to convince cork sniffing brand snobs that they are grossly overpaying for the name on the headstock. I’ve owned plenty of MIA Fenders and I’ve owned plenty of Squiers made overseas. You REALLY think two basses hanging on the wall at guitar center are really that different? That the MIA Fender is somehow infinitely superior to a Squier thats been upgraded with the same hardware and electronics just because it’s a MIA Fender? You know what they say about a fool and his money...

19. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    A tour of the Epiphone factory somehow leads to Squier vs MIA. Yep, I’m in the right place.

20. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

'Mr. McKnight has a lot of valid points concerning this side bar about MIC Squier and MIA Fender. granted, he's talking about them thar gee-tars', but it is still applicable.

My apologies to the OP

Garret Graves and MattZilla like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022