1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Touring FAQ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FishstickFender, Jul 28, 2012.

1. FishstickFender

FishstickFender

Mar 24, 2010
    Hey guys im on tour right now in Estonia and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a sort of touring FAQ type thread or section. I think some of the guys who are newer to touring would love to have questions answered by those of us who have been fortunate (and in many ways unfortunate) enough to spend a decent amount of time touring. So I guess I'm offering up advice for anyone who is seeking it, any touring related questions at all, from gear maintenance, to driving, to band psychology, to feeding and caring for yourself.

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Great idea. This might eventually even qualify as a sticky thread - if we get enough good, useful responses to accumulate here... :meh:

MM

3. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'll start:

Going to a neighboring town to play a couple of gigs is not a "tour." ;)

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Are you out touring with an originals band or are you a sideman in the band?

If a sideman, how are you compensated? (You don't have to disclose how much). Per show? Per day? What about lodging, food, travel expenses?

Work permits for foreign countries?

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    We call it the "Multi - Zip Code Tour". We also sell T-shirts so that makes it official.

Look for us at a Moose Lodge near you!!

Riis

6. FishstickFender

FishstickFender

Mar 24, 2010
    I currently tour with a group where we share all profits. That is atypical. Usually you want some kind of per diem pay plus a wage. Its always going to depend on the situation. A reasonable per diem for a professional band is 100. expect to get paid on top of that as well. Pay varies wildly with genre, so its hard to say exactly what you should be asking for, but I think the 100 per diem is a great starting point.

7. Years ago I toured with a dance show, mainly in Germany, but also Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, Belgium, etc.
    Transport was fine, we had a very good and comfortable touring bus for the 7-piece band and ~ 20 dancers. Hotel rooms were good as well (at least most of the time) and we had our own catering, which is very important. A guitar playing friend of mine was touring with a Rock-Horror-Picture-Show production at the same time and they had to take care of themselves, no catering, no transport, just a touring plan that said "next week Glasgow, be there Monday 4p.m., venue is called...."

In my show, everybody had their own contract and was payed per show. We usually played one show a day, Sundays 2 shows, Mondays off.
    The music was getting kinda boring after a while, but in terms of organizing it was very professional.