Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

touring gigs... how to get them???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jbasscase, Jun 7, 2003.

1. jbasscase

jbasscase

May 10, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm really tired of playing in my mediocre band here in Minneapolis, been thinking about putting together a bass demo, possibly a video... who would you send something like this to in order to get hooked up on a recording artist's national tour? I know it's a long shot, but screw it, what have I got to lose. Who puts tours together for these big time artists? Does anybody have any ideas?
    I know it's all about "who you know" in this business, but what if you don't know "anybody"? How do you even start going about trying to get "hooked up"???
    I'm just really bored. My CD and solo project are too obscure to really do anything with, and I'm REALLY sick of playing in a cover band. I'm a good player, I'm schooled (not that school matters, but...), I'm versatile, I can read. I just need to do something else, play with better players. Touring and traveling sounds like a logical next step.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks-

Jen
    www.jennycase.com

2. ConU

ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Unless you get lucky and somebody passes by your neck'o'the woods...read...where you are=who you know....demo's to management companies are a vehicle...it's a matter of will they look at it.I'm in a similar position,maybe with a bit more experience than you,but nonetheless,still looking for the "next level"of contacts for gigs.We're always looking for that "next step".My advice to you...if you think your chops are together(and your reading,don't diminish it's value...the importance of it is HUUUUGE)...move to L.A. or N.Y.;get a day job,and look for ways to make inroads.If the "sideman" thing is what you're looking for,it ain't gonna happen from hometown U.S.A.;you gotta be where the "action" is...and you gotta be able to cut it.That means;reading,knowing diverse styles,good tone,easy to work with,creative,responsible....blah,blah,blah...notice there is nothing about slap'n'tap there:bassist:
    If you have no dependents and the"balls" do it!
    I wish you luck...but don't take my gig!!;)

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Touring with a big national act? If referring to a position as an opening band, those are arranged by your record company as an advertising purpose to get you exposure for album sales. Opening bands don't make money on tour, they frequently LOSE money or just barely break even.

The only way you can make money touring is if you are a session musician working for a popular artist. And be forewarned, life on the road is far from glamorous. I have a few friends who moved to Nashville for this purpose, and its all about networking and who you know and get to know. Plan on playing for peanuts with a relative unknown just to get your foot in the door, and be sure to impress everyone you work with not only as a musician, but as an easy to get along with person as well.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Send me a video, I'd be glad to watch it :D

Of course, I have no useful contacts for you, but that's besides the point.