Touring in Europe

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Discgraham, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Hey all,

Well I was playing piano in a small classical ensemble practice last night at church. My friend, who is a semi-pro viola player has been working hard on putting a band together, and he has most of it, except for a bass player. He is planning on taking the band on a tour to Europe and Japan in about a year. Last night, he gave me first dibs on the position.

Now this proposition scares me to death, but it's very tempting. This guy is very serious, as are all the musicians in the band. I have some time to make a decision, but I want to hear some feedback from some of you guys who may have tour experience, either in the States or otherwise. This is a heck of an opportunity, and I don't know if I'm even up to the task, but I'd love to hear some input from you guys.

Thanks a lot!
  2. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ok I'll make this simple for you:

You have got to do the tour of Europe

What has been presented to you may well be a once in a life time opportunity. Im assuming that it is. How many of us here get that kind of offer? If you don't do this you will always wonder what it would of been like if you had of gone.

The experience would be something completley different and new (again im assuming you don't do this too often) and you would be kicking yourself when your friend comes back and tells you the storys from when he was over here.
    I'm sure a little practice with the other musicians would put your mind at ease. If everyones happy go for it. If they're happy but your still uncertain...go for it!

3. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    How 'bout some details?
    Are you single?
    Have a job you'd have to leave or be able to come back to?
    If you have no ties and enough money to pull you through the rough times then it would be a memorable experience.
    Don't think that European audiences are any different than anywhere else. There will be extra expenses like backup gear, living costs, etc. You'll be paying full price for those things on the road.
  4. That is a tremendous opportunity and I would suggest working very hard to make it happen. Since you are 18, I assume that you don't have a wife and family to worry about. It will give you a great opportunity to experience different cultures and ideas. Since you will be working and not being a tourist, you will have the opportunity to really learn about the countries and the people, not just the tourist traps. If you can schedule gigs in less visited places you will learn even more. My suggestions would be places like Czech Republic (Prague was the center of European culture for 300 years), Hungary, Greece and Croatia. The Dalmatian coast of Croatia is where all the young people from Europe go to vacation. If you go with an open mind and a willingness to listen and learn from others, you will have a great time, learn a lot and the girls will be fighting over you. When I was your age I was offered an opportunity to go to university at Oxford. While I knew it was an excellent university, I didn't realize what a valuable experience it would be to be able to interact with people from many different cultures. I seriously regret that I didn't take the opportunity.
    Jump on that chance like a duck on a June bug. :hyper:
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If someone offered me a tour of Europe when I was 18, I wouldn't hesitate to take it, no matter what it paid. Nowadays I'm older and have a family and could never afford to do a tour of Europe unless it paid 50% more than what I get now. So go out and do it and don't even think twice about it!
  6. Go for it! Been there, done that, got the memories (and the Foreign Friends) for the rest of my life.
  7. Whatever you do.. DON'T TAKE THAT GIG!!!!What did you say that guys phone# was? PM me with the number, I'll turn it down for you.

8. Don't forget to come to Belgium. You don't want to piss us Belgians off by not coming here :ninja:
  9. I say you should go for it...but I would have some reservations first. What kind of contacts and connections does this guy have? How much of your own money are you going to have to pay to do this? How is he going to go about getting gigs booked, etc? Europe is very cool (I was in England, Netherlands, and Germany myself about two months ago), but I would advise going into a situation like this with eyes wide open.

It sounds like you know the guy well, though, so maybe you are not as worried about these things as I would be in your situation.
  10. bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I have never toured and am trying now at the age of 43 to try to get into my first giging band...heck id love to just play small festivals and pubs etc. I always said i'll do it someday when im good enough ...well here i am wishing i did ALOT OF STUFF AND DAMMIT IM GONNA TRY. GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you have nothing to lose and the world to gain...please ...please dont be like me and wish someday you could do it again cuz it wont be there. You were offered a great chance dont think twice.Also if you say no the bass gods will flog you with a rusty b string :D
  11. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Depends. What kinda venues are you going to be touring. Honestly i know i wouldn't want to tour a buncha crappy little bar venues. Even if it was Europe. I can do that in Ohio. Find out if you're going to be playing big theatres/venues. Find out the genre of music. If you dig the genre. Thats a step in the right direction. If he's going for a like a classic rock vibe, and you're a metal guy, you may wana just go seperate ways (examples of course). Are the gigs pre-planned. Or are you planning on just magically getting them. Also you have think how you're going to get recorded so you can send out press kits to the world. Then you're going to need a reputation. You can't just say- I'M GOING TO TOUR EUROPE. Heck i can say that, doesn't mean its going to happen. Figure out if he's got a way to record set up- and if you're looking at professional recording (and paying full price)- be ready to drop some serious cash. You won't get a european tour with a basement recording. This is all my opinion, and what I would do prior to committing to the band.

Good luck