Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Touring Rig Recs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ejholow, May 6, 2005.

1. ejholow

ejholow

May 5, 2005
    I just got off tour and blew my amp, so I'm looking for reccomendations on a new rig. I discovered on last tour that I liked to take a 10" and put on top of the drum Monitor so that the speaker was at ear level. I found this very useful on the larger stages. By doing this I could here more detail. I want to keep the rig relatively small, its basically just a monitoring system. I have a 60's precision, and like a nice warm and punchy sound, I mute my bass with foam to try to give a more double bass sound. I'm looking at SWR redhead right now. I appreciate any suggestions.

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I love my Mesa M-Pulse 600 I just picked up. It is very warm indeed!!

Mute your bass with foam? Im not sure Im following you..what do you mean?

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    What were you using before?

Redhead is a great sounding little amp.

4. I think he means he has a horseshoe (i think they are called), like thing over the pickups, like what the jazz basses of that era had as dampeners?

Could be completely wrong

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you are looking for a combo, then check out one of the EA iAMP Combo's. If you are looking for a small head with a compact cab, then maybe check out:

Head:

iAMP 500/800
    Thunderfunk
    Mesa Boogie Walkabout
    AI Clarus or Focus
    Walter Woods

Cabs - lots and lots of choices, but some of my favorites (in the small, compact, monitor-like category):

EA Wizzy
    EA VL-110
    Bergantino HT112 (maybe EX112, if you don't like much highs)
    Accugroove Tri 110L or Tri 112L
    Hevos Midget
    Low Down Sound 1x8 or 1x10 (both 3-way), or 2x8 or 3x8
    ACME Low B-1

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you're looking for a really good stage monitor system, I'd recommend getting a Schroeder 1210 cab and set it on its side with the angled baffle up and towards you.

You can use any good sounding amp with it, like an AI Focus, a ThunderFunk, EA iAmp-800, Agie DB750, MB Walkabout, Eden WT550, or an Epifani or Walter Woods head (if you can afford it).

The EA iAmp-800 with a pair of EA WZ-112 should be great as well.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Some bass players put a slab of foam underneath the strings up towards the neck to replicate the timbre of a double bass.

8. I've jammed foam under the strings right near the saddles of the bridge to mute the sustain and give it a 'thud' or 'plunk' sound. I have tried experimenting with different thicknesses of foam and different distances from the bridge, but never did like the sound.

9. ejholow

ejholow

May 5, 2005
    I checked that amp yesterday, great sound amp, though I'm leaning toward a Eden 400 Traveler. The foam thing, I take a piece of foam and put it underneath my strings at the bridge, the foam is at thickness that barely touch the strings. Basically just takes out long sunstain and makes bass punchier.

10. ejholow

ejholow

May 5, 2005
    believe it or no I was using a SWR Workingman 10, I'd put it on the drum monitor so that it was at ear level, worked great and I liked the sound.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Then you'll love the redhead. Better but simmilar tone, more volume, more bottom end ...

12. +1
    If you like the WM10, you'll love the Super Redhead!

13. +2 for the Redhead - it's a great package. Add a 1x15 for more stage filling goodness, maybe an SWR 1x12 Bass Monitor if you can find one.

14. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Or an SWR Triad.

15. The foam on my 78 Fender Jazz was stuck to the ash tray that covered the bridge. The foam (in my case soft rubber) actually sat on top of the strings. You could do the same thing by setting the heel of your picking hand on the strings close to the bridge. I still have the origional ashtray and pickup cover safely stored away. I tried the stacked 210 cabinet setup once and it just didn't sound that good to me. I'm sure a 410 cabinet is tuned to have more bottom than a 210 cabinet. I could be wrong but that's what my ears heard.