1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Touring/Touring Networks

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chaosMK, Apr 24, 2006.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My band is starting to reach the point where we want to start expanding beyond our little home of Albuquerque and start branching out regionally. We arent terribly close to other major cities (Denver, Phoenix being around 6 hours away or more), but have a lot of small towns/regions that get behind any show coming through. I am kind of new to this stuff, but as a band this is what we want to do.

I've started going to more shows with touring bands and usually talk to them after the show. It seems like a huge part of doing DYI tours is having a strong network of contacts as far as booking goes. I am getting an impression that the band networking (which can be harder to develop) is also crticial. I've seen a few bands go through town play to an empty bar, and I could tell they were hurting! I told them to talk to us next time they come through so they would have better draw.

Has anyone navigated through this? Our goal is to start out with a number of small (3-4 day, 3-4 venue) tours in either direction and develop our contacts and name recognition. In the long run we want to be able to branch out further, and hopefully by then we will have figured out ways for our jobs to allow it.

2. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Over here theres this site: http://www.gigswap.co.uk/ thats designed for this sort of thing.

I haven't used it (we're not trying to "make it", so lond trips aren't worth it), but have been to a few gigs organised through it.

We're also involved in promoting the local band scene (www.bournemouthgigs.co.uk), and have put a few bands in touch with others that can help them out.

Not much help to you of course, but if anyone is heading down to Bournemouth UK let me know!

Ian