1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Touring with WT-400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zandar, Mar 28, 2006.

1. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm going to be going on a two week tour (first time touring) in a few months and I'm wondering if I should be worried about the tube preamp in my WT400...both because of the extra bouncing around of travel and because I might not be near a replacement part if it goes out. Is this even something I should care about? If so, is replacing a tube a something I can do myself? Or should I be thinking about a back-up...

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Why not just buy a tube, put it in a safe place, if you need it you got it! should cost less than $20.

3. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Eden's are nearly legendary for reliability.

I've toured with all tube Ampegs for months on end in rattly vans and abused them with no problems.

Having a backup isn't a bad idea, but a spare tube is problably more than you'll actually need.

4. +1 No problem with that little preamp tube. However, it's a no brainer to buy a spare and throw it in your luggage.

5. Slink

Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    Just so you know, if your amp needs to be turned up higher to get the volume your used to and or it seems to clip more than before and the tube is a year or older then you probably need a new tube. Yes this is something most player can do. Just remove the screws take the top off and replace the tube and put everything back from wence it came. If your afraid to do it have it done and be there when they do it and then you'll be able to do it next time.

6. If you are touring and do not have your own personal tech:eyebrow: then it is probably a wise choice to carry extra everythings... strings, batteries, cables and tubes (if you use em). I have a little bag which I keep my extras and spares and other little strange items I may need.

7. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks guys. Sounds like I should get a spare tube, and probbaly replace the current one also, since it's a couple of years old.

8. Preamp tubes live for ages, dont change it til you know its broken

my SVT-II had the original preamp and power amp tubes in it when i got it, and it had been used as a workhorse and even as a rental at some points, so when it needed a retube, it was obvious . . . oh, and that was 16 years down the line from when the tubes were put in. So, dont worry too much, tubes live for longer than manufacturers say

Also, if you have a spare pre tube, be careful with it, chances are its more likely to get broken than the one in the amp

- Will

9. pocket_groover

pocket_groover Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2004
    Northern California
    I've had my WT-800 dropped from a couple of feet off the ground and bumped around a lot on gigs and have never had a problem with the tube falling out or anything (it's those dang knob covers that keep falling off that's a problem on these amps). The tube can be replaced pretty easily after you've taken off the cover (make sure you unplug the amp!). I just recently had to go in and fix my fan...it had an open resistor...and everything's pretty accessible. A spare tube would be a good idea, but as mohawk says, they're pretty fragile on their own, so you need to pack it in something soft and then put it in some hard case.