Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, May 26, 2005.

1. Just a question about humidity and a touring bassist. I'm not a touring bassist by any means lol but how do the big cats keep from having their basses crack like crazy or pop seams. I'm sure they have gauges for humidity and dampits and other stuff but I would think it next to impossible to be humidifying and dehumidifying all the time. From just the little traveling that I do and bring the bass a long, it is tough but I can't imagine all over the states and all over the world. What would cats with older carved basses do?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I can't answer this from the perspective of the traveling double bassist, but as a touring musician who has seen a thing or two from guitarists who use really good hollowbodies and occasional upright bassists. And as a Floridian, where humidity is a way of life.

Most of the people I know with DB's only take them out if they're traveling exclusively on the road and not the air. Otherwise they rent them locally. But there are some who bought giant $2500 fiberglass cases to fly them and hope the airline doesn't mishandle them too badly. I wouldn't fly one without it.

If you're flying it or you're going from extreme humidity to extreme dryness, you may want to wet a sponge and stick it in a plastic box with holes punched in the top and put it inside the case. Otherwise, just keep it clean and well-protected and out of temperature extremes as much as possible. That's all you can do. Basses are meant to be played and they're built well enough to withstand all but the real top-end extremes of climate, unless they suck. And since there's not a thing you can do about the weather, then just do your best to not shock it. In other words, don't remove it from the case/bag immediately if the temperature at the stage is significantly different from the temperature it was stored. Give it time to gradually adjust in the bag, like a fish you buy at the pet store.

You're not going to prevent it from changing a little with the climates, but if you have an adjustable bridge, no biggie. And you're going to ding it up unless you're the most careful person on earth to whom no bad things ever happen. And you have to accept that it might get damaged, and when it does, you find the nearest luthier in that area and get it fixed ASAP so you can keep playing. You do what you can and don't overly obsess over it. And you don't take a $50,000 showpiece bass out for road trips unless it has its own limo.
  3. Humidify your hotel room by crankin' the shower full hot with the bathroom door open.
  4. Thanks fellas. I was just curious. I would wonder what a guy like McBride, Holland, ect. does since they take their great basses with um all the time.