Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tower of Doom! (MiniVersion)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Jan 25, 2003.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's my Tower of Doom in all of it's 2.67 ohm glory. While Mesa's "recommended load" is 4 ohms, I could probably get away with running it like this for a short time as long as there weren't stage lights bumping up the heat level--the fan works pretty well, too. After a 3 hour+ gig, the Mesa is never even warm to the touch. Still, will probably never happen--I've been gigging fine using only one of the 1x12s, so I've no real need to drag all of this stuff to a show. I just thought it looked cool. :D

[​IMG]

*cat shown for size illustration purposes only. Not required for actual operation of rig.

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That's a really big cat! Seriously.

But that rig looks nice too.

3. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    THIS is a big cat (about 22 lbs), but, yeah, Orson ain't exactly Teeny.

[​IMG]

Whoops. I've hijacked my own thread. :eek:

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Bassmonkeee
    How do you like your two aguilar 1x12s? I'm thinking about saling my EA CxL-110s for two Aguilar 1x12s

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I love 'em. They sound big and meaty. I thought about selling one of them, but I've since changed my mind. Two definitely has a very different character than one.

My favorite combo right now is one Aggie 1x12 with the EA 1x8. This pairing gives both the room filling bottom of the Aggie with the crisp drive of the EA. Best of both worlds, imo.

I imagine that the 2 Aggies would sound quite a bit different that the two EA 1x10s, so it would be best if you could try them side by side, if at all possible.

I know that Butch has an Aggie 1xx12 for sale right now for $335 shipped in the For Sale Forum, which is a pretty good deal. You might find that one of each brand sounds great.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    that sound like an interesting idea....I'll have to try it. Also, how loud do the aguilars get? I play medium to large gigs....

7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Pretty loud. If you're pushing enough watts to them, they'll hold their own against a loud drummer. I used them with my old DB750 when I played with a deaf drummer who had hammers for hands, and I had no problems what-so-ever.

If you are playing really loud gigs, though, you'll probably want to move to something with more speaker area.

I'm sure they'd be able to handle any gig you were playing with the EAs.

But, apart from playing with Hammer Hands, I'm not competing with distorto-guitar, or anything like that, so you might want to search out some other opinions before you sell your current rig. Still, Butch's deal is a good one, and he's a safe seller, too. He's over on the 'Pit, so he's not some Fly by Night risk.

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm just looking for more warmth and low end, but still be able to had a nice edge to it... if that makes any sense

9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That's a really nice rig (I want that hat it has) but how did you find the sound with all of the ports that far off the ground? Did you lose some floor-coupling low end?

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I noticed you have the GS112s stacked on end too - I started doing that when the woolyness of the 12" speaks just got to be too much. Sometimes all that warmth and fatness ISN'T a good thing... I wonder if it has any good properties too like the old Dead wall of sound as far as dispersion...

and MontyP - you do lose a little of the BOOM but none of the warmth... it actually seems to equal out the whole frequency range instead of using the floor coupling to really shake the low notes...

uhh... ;)