1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tower of Power - Great American Soul Book

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blonde Bassist, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Has anyone else got this album yet?

Great new release from T.O.P. it's great to be able to finally hear the current line up, with new guitarist Mark Harper. If you are unaware this is a covers album featuring some of the band's favourite soul music, including some fairly worthy guest vocalists aswell as frontman Larry Braggs.
    Rocco is shining as always, with the David Garibaldi/Rocco Prestia rhythm section back to it's best.
    The interpretations of the various tunes, in my opinion is fairly outstanding, staying fairly faithful to some of the arrangements, obviously with the Tower of Power touch in there to kick it up a step (...see what I did there:rolleyes:). I do think the best songs on the album are "Mr. Pitiful", featuring Sam Moore, and "It Takes Two" featuring Larry Braggs and Joss Stone. The latter being a new completely different interpretation to the Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston classic, with some serious T.O.P. grooves going down.
    The Horn Section is in fine form, as usual, with a beautiful take on Me & Mrs. Jones.

The other guest vocalists are Sir Tom Jones, who sings the Sam and Dave song "I Thank You", and band friend Huey Lewis singing "6345-789".

I think this is a great album, and with the inclusion of these guest vocalists will hopefully get Tower some more radio airplay and long due exposure. This album can certainly hold it's own sitting along side Tower of Power and Back to Oakland, the band are obviously in extremely fine form.

Can't wait untill they come back over to the U.K.

any other thoughts?

2. Soul Vaccination : Live?

3. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    +10 for that!

If you dig Rocco you should also check out some of Doc's STROKELAND SUPERBAND (though you probably have already as you referenced Kick It Up A Step).

I was a little disappointed with SOUL BOOK I've got to say, I've had the last studio album OAKLAND ZONE on most of the time in my car recently - what a great album. Larry Braggs is a great vocalist, personally I prefer him to Brent Carter like a million times (I never rated Carter, always thought he was way inferior to Tom Bowes who did Monster on a Leash and I think T.O.P - but strangely enough Carter and Bowes sing in a New York funk band together!).

A show in the UK soon - with a guest appearance from Joss Stone - would be gig of the year for me!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OMG...that floored me!

5. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Mar 8, 2009
    London
    Me & Mrs Jones is the best track on the album.

6. Froaderick

Froaderick

Sep 26, 2005
    Mine Hill, NJ
    Thread is a couple of months old so I wanted to bring it back

Bought this not long ago and its a great soul CD

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You may also want to check out "Sketches of James," which is a 1999 compilation of James Taylor songs covered by various artists. On it, Tower of Power covers "Steamroller" with their extraordinary punch and flair.