Tower of Power Live Concert DVD - A Quick Review...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gfab333, Oct 21, 2003.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    First off, I was surprised to find that this was recorded in 1998. I expected a recent performance, given the fact that it was just released. I bought it from for $14.96.

The video and audio quality is consistent with the Ohne Filter series of live concert DVDs. It's decent, but for some of us semi-audiophiles, it could be better. The mix of the band's various instruments is OK. Rocco's bass and Garibaldi's drums could have been "more up front" in the mix though. Just my opinion.

While the song line up includes a few 1970s gems like "what is hip", "soul vaccination", "you strike my main nerve", and "squib cakes", most of the songs are from their late 1990s albums.

Rocco plays his P bass with a reverse split pickup through a GK 800rb head and what appears to be an one Ampeg 8X10. Remember back in the old days when he used to play through an SVT with two 8X10 cabs?

If you're a true ToP fan, you should buy this DVD for your collection. Overall, it memorializes a good performance from this legendary band.
  2. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'm a huge TOP fan and will check this DVD out, Thanks gfab, I seen them in 98 and they had a killer Trumpet player named Jessey Maguire. Was he on this recording?
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bouht the CD - Tower of Power live - Soul Vaccination - some time ago. This has 15 tracks and says it was recorded live in California during their 1998 world tour.

Must have been the same concerts?

I love it anyway!! :)
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yes Funkster, Maguire is blowing on this DVD. The other trumpet player is a guy named Churchville.

Yes Bruce, this appears to be from the same time frame as when the CD was recorded. Since it's an Ohne Filter DVD, I get the impression that it was filmed in Europe.