Town of Moab Shuns Link with New Bomb

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jcadmus, Feb 28, 2003.

1. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    If this doesn't fall in the "lack of anything better to do" category, I don't know what does. Oh brother.

Quick, someone call the Sensitivity Police -- somebody's feelings are hurt!

Town of Moab Shuns Link with New Bomb

SALT LAKE CITY (Reuters) - The tiny town of Moab, Utah, has asked President Bush (news - web sites) not to use the acronym MOAB for a new bomb because it could damage the image of the city best known for outdoor recreation, officials say.

"We realize that it is an acronym, but we are still concerned about the effects it may have on our community. Moab relies on tourism both domestic and foreign and has worked for many years and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to create an image that 'Moab' is a destination," a letter from the Grand County Council said.

MOAB is an acronym for "massive ordnance air bust" and Moab, Utah residents do not want tourists to think of a bomb when they hear about a city named after the biblical kingdom southeast of the Dead Sea.

"We strongly believe that our city's name could be severely damaged by naming the bomb after Moab, thereby negating years and dollars spent in marketing and promoting our town," the letter said.

"We've invested a lot of time effort to put our city in the best possible light. It's noted as a recreation area. This just kind of has taken us aback," Mayor Dave Sakrison told Reuters.

Moab refers to the "land beyond Jordan," according to Utah history references about the origin of the town name.
  2. I've been to Moab!! It's a very nice little town, and a big rocket launch is held there every year. Kinda ironic, a town with a rocket launch doesn't want to get a bomb named after it.:rolleyes:

Rock on
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Great town! Know by mountain bikers for it's popular Slick Rock Trail. It's like a moonscape.

Moab + fungus + mountain bike = fun.
  4. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yup - Moab has near mythic status amongst mountain bikers...along with Sedona, Telluride and the Sierras...

5. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Sooo...I'm thinking this isn't going to have too much of a negative impact on their reputation, then. No?

I mean, I can't imagine a bunch of mountain bikers saying "Whoa, man -- I'm not biking in Moab this year -- they're associated with that really bad bomb thing, and stuff."

See answer #1: This is silly.

Welcome to the United States of the Offended.
  6. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Moab is like a mecca for mountain bikers, so I wouldn't worry too much about them losing money as a result of this...
  7. Ah to live behind the Zion curtain !:D
  8. That's awful.:D

Rock on
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Massive Overuse of Available Bandwidth.