Toying With An Idea For A Side Business----

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Owl, Nov 7, 2005.

1. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I'm starting this thread to solicit insights, comments and thoughts on an idea that just hit me.

I seem to derive a certain amount of satisfaction and enjoyment out of cleaning up old recordings from cassette or vynil (been digging through my personal archives for practice). So, it just hit me, why not, after getting some more practice, gear up and start hiring myself out to do audio restoration/remastering.

I've been getting my talons wet with Magix Audio Cleaning Lab (a good value for the money) and getting the essentials down, but at some point I'm going to need something even more powerful for audio cleaning/restoration (thinking about Sound Forge or Wave Lab).

I know I'll need a decent turntable, input pre-amp and cassette deck for the original sources plus some kind of cleaning device(s) for vynil.

Any suggestions for gear, marketing and such are GREATLY appreciated------------------------------
  2. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

A cool idea, but is it viable? I suppose as a side business it'd be cool especially since it's something you enjoy. I know most of the recording studios in my town offer this as a service, but it might be different where you live. You might try hitting record stores (especially used/specialty ones) and asking what they think, if they have customers asking for something like this.

As far as marketing goes, I'd say work it on a grass roots level. Large scale advertising is an expensive freaking process. Again, record stores would also be a great place to throw up a poster. Also, find out if there are ever any record trade shows in your area where maybe you can set up a booth, or even just flyer cars in the parkinglot (as long as it's allowed by the venue).
  3. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Be ready to provide some before/after MP3s of your work. Have them available on MP3 on a website or email if requested.
  4. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I was thinking that EXACT same thing, hearing is believing! ;)