Toyota coming to Nascar in 2007, are you excited??some pictures here

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XIbanez4lifeX, Jan 29, 2006.

1. XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    The truck series have been racing Toyota's but next year they will all have Toyota's.

A Toyota Race car here:

Toyota Red Bull Die cast

January 25, 2006

Toyota Announces Team Owners for 2007
    The announcement earlier this week that Toyota would enter the NEXTEL Cup and Busch Series in 2007 didn't include any driver or team announcements. Toyota Motorsports fixed that today with the announcement of three teams including a total of six cars.

As has been long speculated Bill Davis Racing was formally announced as a Toyota team for 2007. This year Dave Blaney and Michael Waltrip will drive Dodges for Bill Davis.

The second team announced was Michael Waltrip Racing as Waltrip will be starting a two-car NEXTEL Cup team for the 2007 season. Waltrip is expected to bring long time sponsor NAPA along to his new team.

The third team owner was unnamed but the two car NEXTEL Cup team will be associated with energy drink Red Bull. No drivers, owners or any other details were announced for this mystery team.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh boy. Around here, I mostly see older people driving Camrys. Just wait until one of those Toyota's wins a race....due, you lost to my grandma's car!!!! :D

3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I heard they're going to put a stock Echo out there.

Seriously though, I'm interested to see how they do and what they come up with. Waltrip is huge for Toyota.

brad cook
  4. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    OH what a feeling!
  5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    They should get rid of the term "Stock Car" racing, since there is little or nothing left about those cars that is actually "stock". Imo modern NASCAR is more of an orchestrated show than it is actual racing. I miss the NASCAR of 20 years ago when the cars were based on actual production models and you could tell them apart by simply looking at them. Now they all look the same, and without the decal on the front you'd be hard pressed to tell a Monte Carlo from a Taurus.

It will also be interesting to see how much whining the Toyota boys do if their cars don't turn out to be as aerodynamic or run as well as the others. Iirc, the F**d boys whined and NASCAR allowed them more spoiler to level the playing field.

Beyond that, I'm curious to see what engine Toyota is using. Last I knew they didn't make a production OHV V8 with only one camshaft and two valves per cylinder, which I believe is a NASCAR requirement.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I remember when NASCAR was an All American sport. No offense to those who love Japanese cars, or any import for that matter, but NASCAR has gone 50 years fielding only Ford, Mercury, Pontiac, Chevy, Buick, Dodge, Plymoth and maybe a few other American brands over the years.

I was upset when the Tundra came to CTS, this is just another kick in the pants for the sport IMO. NASCAR is the fastest growing sport because they're selling out to the masses.

Either they're selling out by letting the foreign cars in, or their rule changes.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Very interesting. Given the above post, I wonder how the masses will respond, especially if this thing wins a few races. Come to think of, there were murmurs of anger when Dodge got back in the game.
  8. its all about the money. thats all. how can you take tracks away like n. wilksboro, rockinham and darlington? these tracks are what got the whole thing started. now they are just a memory. i crewed in the busch series for six years and now i dont care nuthin about stock car racin. corporate crap is killin racin. honda and mitsubishi in 2010. gimme big american cars like yesteryear. take out the greed and replace it with racin, like it use to be. i sure do miss dale earnhardt.
  9. XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    I heard one guy say that in about 5-10 yrs you will see German,Spanish, Italians, and Asians (kind of like open wheel Indy cars) start to show up in Nascar which will be great for Nascar because they want to create fans all over the globe.

So I am sure Honda's maybe even Mercede's and Mitsubishi will eventually jump in the game.

Toyota my spring an interest with Asian viewers of Nascar, more viewers more $$$$.

The internationalization of Nascar is right around the corner.:bag:
  10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    The Camry does look surprisingly cool. :cool:

Agreed. I also don't care for NASCAR's superspeedway restrictor plate racing. It's like watching a multi-colored freight train going in circles for hours.

Bowtie man, no doubt.;) :D Every manufacturer cries "unfair advantage" when they're not competitive. I've seen an equal amount of concessions made for every manufacturer over the years.

Respectfully, Art
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sheesh, you'd think they could pick better talent to represent them than Michael Waltrip. He'd STILL be winless if not for the DEI restrictor plate advantage...whatever that may actually be.

Meh, keep the rice elsewhere.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I though the restrictor plate was for safety reasons. I am a casual at best NASCAR observer, so I may be wrong on my comment.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The restrictor plates were mandated to help keep top speeds down on the super-speedways, nothing more.

Anyways, I once was an Indy car fan. Over the years the engines, chassis, and the drivers all became foreigners. Thats OK.

Now NASCAR :confused: Well, I'm sure they don't care but I'm done being a NASCAR fan now. It was nice having atleast one motorsport in this country that was only open to American manufacturers.

I miss the old days of real stock car racing.:(
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Toyota dominates the Baja 500... why not the Yeehaw 500 too?
  15. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

I stopped following NASCAR in the mid 90's.

That part doesn't bother me, since not much of the car will be actual "Toyota" anyway.
  16. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    What NASCAR should do (since all the cars look the same anyway) is give every team an identical body and chassis. Then they can put their engines in and see who really has the best running car.

That would eliminate the teams whining about aerodynamics.
    May the best engine builder/chassis tuner win.
  17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    You're quite right, but in doing this the driver's draft with one another and wait until the last portion of the race to make a move for the front of the field. I find this extremely boring. They generally can't pass each other one-on-one, so pit strategy and finding the right drafting partner(s) is more important than just driving IMO. I think NASCAR has made some changes to the restrictor plates to allow more passing, but I've lost interest in "stock" car racing over the past few years. I do still enjoy the short tracks and the two road course races.

About five years ago I started watching Formula One racing and I've become quite interested in it.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's not a bad idea!
  19. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Kinda sad how the only motorsport that American car manufacturers can be competitive at is the one where they don't let anyone else play.

There's a bit of a rant in me on the topic of automotive quality as it relates to national attitude. Let me summarize the whole thing by asking "How long will the big three wait before deciding to produce quality vehicles to compete with the Japanese (and, to a lesser extent, the Europeans)?"