Toyota Yaris, 39 MPG, John mayer & vacation

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    this is a combined post.

I went up to my cousin's cabin for the 4th of july holiday (US) and drove 120 miles to get there. on tuesday the new John Mayer: Where the light is DVD came out. so, being a big fan I had to go get it. google told me that the nearest Best Buy store was 40 miles away, IT WAS ACTUALLY 67 MILES!!! ONE WAY!!! but I was by myself for a few days and knew it would probably be worth the drive. so three hours later I was watching john mayer and digging it!

back to the car...I usually get about 34 mpg in the cities, but I also drive non-rush hour traffic to work usually. after the initial trip up to the cabin and to get the DVD, the rest of the week (thurs-sun) was spent shuttling between my cousin's cabin and his sister's "lake home" :rolleyes: which are about 3 miles apart. also there was the regular "bag of ice" trip about 5 miles down the road. on the way home I stopped about 10 miles from the cabin for a fill up. there I calculated about 39.4 MPG. I think I could have cracked 40 had I done less back and forth driving. I decided to drive the speed limit to keep my RPMs down and hopefully maximize my gas mileage.

anyway just thought I'd share...

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I get more or less the same out of my '07 Ford Fiesta Zetec.

On the other hand, when I rag it I get about 20 :)

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hehe you drive a festy! :)

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It's a good car, and more importantly once all my gear is in it - only I fit in. No lifts for lazy band members.

[​IMG]

Here it is, outside my house. She's called Cilla. My sister has a matching one called Leeroy.

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You haven't put the Burberry decals on the side of it yet? :D

6. stoo

stoo

Nov 10, 2003
    You sure you're not getting Vauxhalls and Fords mixed up?

The chavskimobile of choice has long been the corsas and novas. Festers are grannymobiles if anything......

:confused:

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I love my car :D

8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Was in one once...survived I did.

9. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I'm seriously considering selling my 240 and buying a Honda Hit (when the 09's come out). I don't know if I'm going to be able to handle only 120hp, but I'm REALLY beginning to like the idea of averaging around 35mpg.

I dig the Yaris, but I hate the center-mounted gauge cluster. Props on both the Yaris and the Fiesta though.

10. I plan on buying an old VW golf and running it half on waste oil or used vegetable oil and still getting 40+MPG.

lowsound

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I'm going to get two motorcycles and fashion a bubble enclosure between them. With 75mpg for each motorcycle, I'll average 150mpg total*. Give or take.

*it's math I learnt right here on TB:D

12. Let's see.

I filled my Dakota up this morning and the needle was around 3/4 a tank.

I went to school and back... and I am now around 1/2 tank. :bawl:

To be honest... I was trying to see what the V6 could do. :D

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I am averaging 38-39mpg out of an 08 civic ex

14. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I have an 07 Civic. I calculated 42 mpg at one point during a road trip to New York. It made me so smug.

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I average 42 with my 94 Plymouth Colt.

16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I average about 41mpg in my 1991 Honda Civic. That's right - my 17 year old car is still getting better gas mileage than most new cars.

17. +1

On a recent trip from Savannah, GA to NY and back I averaged 38 in my 1994 Honda Accord. :)

18. + another.

I mentioned in another thread that I had an 89 Toyota corolla that got in the high 30's with a 3 speed automatic transmission. It was winding pretty high when they raised the speed limit. I am betting it would have cracked 40's if I had a manual transmission.

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    So wait a second. Your unce unce fail truck doesn't even have the V8 option in it? :eyebrow:

20. Nope. I would rather have the better gas mileage.

...All 16 mpg of it.

:(

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021