"Toys in the Attic" - Aerosmith

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Steve Harris Is, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    OK, so I have about 4 months in on bass and can play about 18-20 songs all the way through, however my band wants to learn this one and I am struggling a bit.

My question is, does anyone else know/play this one and do they find that opening riff extra speedy or is it just me?? Also, it seems like there's a fair amount of "walking" throughout the song, making it rather difficult for a newbie.

Anyway, just wanted to see what others thought and/or if anyone ahs advice on it? Thanks-
  2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Excellent choice! Great bassline, great P tone.

Advice? Hmmm... best advice I can give you is practice a lot, and don't let yourself get too frustrated. It's definitely not an easy song for a 4 month player.

Ask your band to give you more time to work on it, and move on to the next couple of songs on your list. If you're lucky they'll forget about it while you keep practicing. When the time comes and they start talking about it again, you'll be ready to bust it out. This "back burner" approach will work for a lot of things as long as you have a band willing to go along with it, and you keep that fire lit under the back burner on your own time.

Hope this helps. That song should be a blast to play once you get it down. :bassist:
  3. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005

Funny you should mention this because that's EXACTLY what we decided at practice last night, and even used "back burner" when describing what to do with songs that were too tough...were you there??

Anyway, I have got the main riff down where I am close to being able to match it's speed but it's still not there yet (and it's a wee bit sloppy) so I figure another few weeks or so and like you said in the meantime work on things are little easier for my level.

Thanks for the advice and happy playing.