1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tplyons' Alis Baritone Acoustic Progress Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tplyons, Nov 7, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First of all, I'm not good at keeping secrets I'm this excited about. I'm having a guitar custom built!

It's being made by Alis (pronounced like Elise) and is being made to the following specs:

Alis Baritone Acoustic Guitar:
    Top: Lutz Spruce
    Back/Sides: Primavera
    Fingerboard: Ebony
    Neck: Honduran Mahogany w/Purpleheart and Carbon Fiber Lamination
    Bindings: Snakewood
    Single Cutaway shape, Florentine Cutaway (pointy)
    28-5/8 Scale, 14 frets cleared from body

And my progress pics so far:
    [​IMG]
    Snakewood Blocks for tail wedge

[​IMG]
    Top joined, planed and rosette installed.

[​IMG]
    Primavera back and sides.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Keep it coming...

3. awesome Tim, I can't wait to see the finished product!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Me neither... I can't wait for more progress pictures, it's been over a week :crying:

5. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Yeah Tim, that back is going to look awesome! I think this is going to be one of those guitars that will always inspire you to play your best when ever you pick it up!

I'm subscribed to this thread!

6. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    btw.. what sort of bracing patterns are you doing? Forward shifted X? is it going to be scalloped? etc..

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    And it's a funny story how this all started:

I grew up a metalhead. My first guitar was a Epiphone Les Paul, sold that and picked up an Ibanez 7 string. Liked the low tuning, but didn't find it useful. That was the end of my B string for a while.

But then I saw Warmoth's baritone conversion necks. I since fell in love with everything Fender, especially the Telecaster, and always wanted a Baricaster. One day, I picked up a CIJ Tele body (fully loaded) locally and got a Warmoth conversion neck from the Showroom, just arrived, called Eric Wylie at Warmoth (and a member here) and had it on the way. Fell in love with the tuning and the tone, but I simply came to the conclusion that I'm much more of an acoustic player.

Then, I stumbled across Alis guitars, and he was more than interested in building my baritone, and we started talking. Then before we knew it, I sold my Baricaster to jmb7183 to send a down payment. And now we have what we have.

And that's the origin of the 28-5/8" scale. Darn you Warmoth.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As far as that, I told my builder what I wanted, and he's been more than gracious with suggestions, and I'm trusting him on this a lot... I'm not too familiar with acoustic guitar construction, where that's his forte. I'm largely a fingerstyle player with a tendency to strum, so it doesn't require too heavy of a bracing... not to mention this thing WILL BE BABIED at all times. :)

But he does have a unique bracing design utilizing carbon fiber reinforcements.

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Could you PM me an approx price?
    I wouldn't mind an acoustic.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    This is one thing I can't do. I'm sworn to secrecy on the price. Only my mother (she's paying a good portion of it as my Christmas gift) and I know.

11. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    It's cool.

How about a link? I can't find a website or anything.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He's working on that, the company is a work in progress. I'll get you his contact info, though.

13. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Cool thanks.
    I'm heading to bed now, but I'll check my PM's tomorrow.

Thanks!

14. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    Carbon fiber should be interesting... I know that the "Traditional" guitar makers are all now scrambling to source alternative materials for guitar making's future.. Martin, who's been around 175 years, and making guitars with what ever wood they choose, is now only making about 35% of their guitars with "Traditional" woods, and starting to go laminate and hi-tech materials on many lines.

At some point, (Bob Taylor thinks 10 years) Sitka Spruce suitable for guitar tops (meaning 300+ year old growth) and natural growth Indian Rosewood will go the way of Brazilian rosewood.. which interestingly is also the story on Honduran Mahogany.. As a matter of fact, I've got one of only a literal handful of Martins being made "today" with a single piece Mahogany neck.. so it should prove interesting to see which of these technologies becomes the solution to these wood shortages..

Carbon fiber? Aluminum? Composite/Laminate?

Time will tell...

You may be getting a "Early Adopter" guitar there Tim that may be destined to be a milestone in the long future ahead of for this instrument.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes, Sam, like yourself, I'm very much a traditional guy... Fender Jazzes, a Fender P... it took me years to switch to Neodymium speakers and biamping. I still use a cable from instrument to amp, and may be the only 19 year old who despises what cell phones have done to the world.

Anyway, since it's a baritone acoustic, a bit of an odd combination to begin with, I figured I'd go all out. My builder wants to trademark this type of bracing, I'm all for it. I'm loving that my guitar is one of the first under the brand name, and there's a tad bit of experimentation with my guitar. I'm actually trying to get him to make more of the decisions as far as construction, because he knows my goals well enough already. I'm trying to put the ball in his court to do what he does better.

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Is it just me or does anybody else see a face in the wood?

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hamburglar?!

18. Steel or nylon string? :ninja:

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Steel... I've only found variety in the scale length and gauges I need, and fortunately for me it's D'Addario. EXP's.

20. SamJ

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    LOL! :D

It's gonna rock man!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021