Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Traa Daniels' tone on Satellite

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I LOVE that growly punchy tone. Any ideas on how to set my EQ/sansamp/bass to get CLOSE to it? No sarcastic replies please. :)

2. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    If I recall that dude was using a W thumb back then, so start by there since you have one.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Growly punchy growly growly growly, punchy growly, punchy puncy growly. Growly punchy growly punchy punchy growly, growly, punchy. Punchy growly punchy growly growly.

Growly, punchy punchy growly.

4. I said no sarcastic replies.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I wasn't be sarcastic. I just figured I'd translate my post into the only two adjectives you seem to be able to muster. You know, for better communication.

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Use the bridge pickup.

7. :crying: How would you describe it?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aggressive, warm, round, gritty, utterly typical of nu-metal bands (who all use Warwick, no surprise), big, thunderous, and yes, growly and punchy.

As I have just displayed above, there are more than two words to describe bass tone.

9. in a BP interview he said that he set his EQ (i think he has a 20 band EQ) to really focus on the 800 Hz range...something like that...Traa uses Eden cabs and amps doesn't he? that helps with growl, and i know he uses SIT strings, which are pretty good...i don't think it is all in his bass/amp...i think its the combination of all his stuff, IE playing style, amp, bass, EQ, producer of the cd, strings, acoustics of the room...etc

EDIT: i think it is also having a 2000 watt bass head turned up loud that helps...i believe that...i think amps at low volume sound different from when they are up loud

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    WhoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaAAAAA I ever so love these threads about specific recordings MMmMMmmMmMm because Traa only sounds like Traa on Satellite so you couldn't POSSSSSSSSSIBBBBLLYYY post about him in bassists, NOooOooOoooOooOoOo that would be tooooOoooOooooOooo much.

Sorry, I just had to be as sarcastic as I could

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I think it's fair to comment on Traa's Tone from a particular album, many people ask about how to get a certain era of tone from say Geddy Lee and a particular album.

This thread is no different from the thousand others that we have in recordings, don't treat it any differently just because Nick opened it.

I think he's been given some good advice so far specially from Brendan expanding his vocabulary :D

Also Nick I think there is an interview of Traa in Bassplayer archives think it's here http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=87&storycode=4018 hope this helps

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Dont forget burpy.

13. Aren't 800Hz the mid-range? Also, the bit about the amp and volume affecting tone i agree with.